• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBS mutation: Charcoal and Magnesium interaction?

Hey guys, I've just started supplementing with Activated Charcoal before bed to help get rid of ammonia buildup in my body. After dosing 1.5g of AC last night, I took my nightly magnesium malate and l-theanine. I woke up several times throughout the night which is a rare occurrence for me, and according to my sleep app I had very little deep sleep and light sleep.

I was taking Ephedra for weightloss purposes but that was causing energy fluctuations throughout the day, and I believe it's because I can't break down norepinephrine correctly (MAO-A mutation) and the build up in my head causes fatigue(?).

Anyways, I dropped it yesterday after a very low energy day hoping my situation would improve, and it slightly did! This morning I felt much better but mid day my energy is fluctuating again.

My question is: does activated charcoal block magnesium and l-theanine absorption? My eyes feel very heavy and fatigued, I had a small CBS friendly snack before hitting the gym but after an hour of lifting my body feels depleted again and my energy isn't steady.

Early this morning I took on an empty stomach: caffeine, 50mg p5p, 5 drops of Indian snake root for MAO-A, and 100mg of l-theanine. I felt good.

With the small meal, I took:
Vit A, C, E, 50mg zinc, 100mg selenium, 2mg copper, 250mcg kelp, and 450mg yucca root

Any tips and help is appreciated

EDIT: forgot to include that im using DIM to combat my estrogen dominance. This is a shot in the dark, but DIM and I3C are mostly found in sulfur-rich veggies so maybe it's possible that DIM contains sulfur metabolites?

Last edited:
@SuckSmoothie - CBS variations listed by Yasko and Genetic Genie do not cause ammonia buildup.
Ah thanks! Is there any cause for my eye sight fatigue that you might know? I heard b2 helps but it makes me drowsy.

Is there any SNP's that might cause this? I know it's a very general symptom of whatever is going on inside my body but maybe you can point me in the right direction