• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Study About Ferritin Levels, Fatigue and Iron Supplementation.

barbc56

clue to potentially serious underlying disorders. Unlike most iron-deficiency anemias, the anemia of copper deficiency reported herein was not due to depleted iron stores but to hepatic iron overload and an impaired release of iron from body iron stores. Unlike the anemia of iron deficiency that responds to iron supplementation (14), the anemia of copper deficiency should not be treated by iron supplementation but should be treated by either lowering the intake of dietary iron or by chelation therapy (15)(16)(17)

This does not sound right. Is there a validated test to measure copper levels?

Lowering intake of dietary iron is contradictory to what my hematologist recommended. Iron is better absorbed with food but most likely supplmentation is also needed. But if that doesn't work something is going on and probably prudent to get it checked.

It sounds like these "doctors" are into alternative medicine. I'll have to check later. Anyone who recommends chelation is IMHO, a quack. Chelation should only be used for heavy metal poisoning. Chelation is dangerous, people have died, the challenge test is bogus and the concept behind chelation is not plausiblel.

Your liver and other organs such as your kidneys are sufficient to remove any toxins and if they aren't this also needs to be checked.

I will post some citations later. If @Jonathan Edwards has the time, it would be interesting to read his take on this. Emphasis on time as it's a full time job just answering questions and with other projects he's working on, can't be expected to answer all questions. But he seems to which is amazing! :thumbsup:

I am not in the medical profession so bear that in mind. I also need to look closer at the study.If what I've stated is incorrect, let me know.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
This does not sound right. Is there a validated test to measure copper levels?

Lowering intake of dietary iron is contradictory to what my hematologist recommended. Iron is better absorbed with food but most likely supplmentation is also needed. But if that doesn't work something is going on and probably prudent to get it checked.

It sounds like these "doctors" are into alternative medicine. I'll have to check later. Anyone who recommends chelation is IMHO, a quack. Chelation should only be used for heavy metal poisoning. Chelation is dangerous, people have died, the challenge test is bogus and the concept behind chelation is not plausiblel.

Your liver and other organs such as your kidneys are sufficient to remove any toxins and if they aren't this also needs to be checked.

I will post some citations later. If @Jonathan Edwards has the time, it would be interesting to read his take on this. Emphasis on time as it's a full time job just answering questions and with other projects he's working on, can't be expected to answer all questions. But he seems to which is amazing! :thumbsup:

I am not in the medical profession so bear that in mind. I also need to look closer at the study.If what I've stated is incorrect, let me know.

The paper I found was about deliberate induction of copper deficiency in rats. I doubt it has nay relevance to human clinical problems. It certainly seems to have nothing to do with the is thread!!

Johnmac

Thanks for this Gamboa - interesting indeed.

My Ferritin has been at 5 for many years and only increased to 11 after a YEARS suplementation with iron. Like you my other bloods are normal. What i dont iundersatnd is why i cant get my ferritin up, even with supplementation. I have switched a few months ago to a transdermal iron spray, but havent had a test yet to see if this has helped. My fatigue has lessened in this time, but i had atributed that to the B12 injections.

All the best, Justy x

Justy,

I talked to Greg the transdermal B12 scientist about the possibility of transdermal iron, & he thought it wouldn't work very well.

I believe 30 or even 50 is too low for ferritin; don't know how you're still coping with 5. Can't you get a transfusion?

Re gastritis. IMO FODMAPs are often responsible, & a low-FODMAP diet can fix the problem quickly. This solution isn't used much because it is new & not that well-known, & because it is a bit counter-intuitive till you understand the science. (For example avocados are out but tomatoes are in.) I have no idea what is your cause of course - but mention this one as it's "low-hanging fruit": easy & free to try; & only a few days till you know an answer.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Justy,

I talked to Greg the transdermal B12 scientist about the possibility of transdermal iron, & he thought it wouldn't work very well.

I believe 30 or even 50 is too low for ferritin; don't know how you're still coping with 5. Can't you get a transfusion?

Re gastritis. IMO FODMAPs are often responsible, & a low-FODMAP diet can fix the problem quickly. This solution isn't used much because it is new & not that well-known, & because it is a bit counter-intuitive till you understand the science. (For example avocados are out but tomatoes are in.) I have no idea what is your cause of course - but mention this one as it's "low-hanging fruit": easy & free to try; & only a few days till you know an answer.

My ferritin is now back down to 5 again, since I stopped iron supplementation for a month whilst waiting for a sigmoidoscopy. All I got was a phone call from the GP receptionist saying a prescription for iron was in the post!!! Luckily KDM has found iron I CAN tolerate, after years of trying to find the right one. I did feel a little better on the iron supps - but now worse again.

I know iron infusions carry a high allergy risk and I have MCAS, so I may have done this a few years ago, but not sure now... Anyway it hasn't been offered.

Johnmac

My ferritin is now back down to 5 again, since I stopped iron supplementation for a month whilst waiting for a sigmoidoscopy. All I got was a phone call from the GP receptionist saying a prescription for iron was in the post!!! Luckily KDM has found iron I CAN tolerate, after years of trying to find the right one. I did feel a little better on the iron supps - but now worse again.

I know iron infusions carry a high allergy risk and I have MCAS, so I may have done this a few years ago, but not sure now... Anyway it hasn't been offered.

It sure should have been offered. Even by doctor standards 5 is way, way low for ferritin. A friend with ferritin 30 just had a couple of infusions: each one made a "night and day" difference to her mental & physical functioning.

Maybe there's a way you can test the infusion for allergy risk before infusing - e,g, with a scratch test. Once you find a doctor who cares about your health, why don't you ask about that?

I get my iron up by eating lots of organ meat. It apparently takes a year to establish normal ferritin. IMO normal is 150+.

Good luck...