• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Veritas Genetics Launches $999 Whole Genome And Sets New Standard For Genetic Testing

Waverunner

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...w-standard-for-genetic-testing-300230258.html

BOSTON, March 3, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Veritas Genetics, co-founded by Harvard Medical School professor and genetics pioneer Dr. George Church, today introduces Veritas myGenome, the world's first whole genome for less than $1,000, including interpretation and genetic counseling. Veritas Genetics first broke the $1,000 genome barrier in 2015 when it made whole genome sequencing available to nearly 5,000 participants in the Personal Genome Project (PGP) at Harvard Medical School.

https://www.veritasgenetics.com/mygenome-panel#sec-4

Only available for US citizen and you need a doctor order. The good thing however is that gene by gene might come under pressure and may have to lower their ridiculous high price of around 10k USD for whole genome sequencing without interpretation. If I was an US citizen I would order at veritas right away.

Sidereal

About time. I'm not in the US but I presume this will expand beyond its borders eventually. 23andme is incredibly frustrating. I come across so many interesting SNPs in my reading and when I look them up they're usually not tested by 23andme.

msf

I expect Redlabs will test for the relevant SNPs from the recent De Meirleir for much less than this. At the moment, even that wouldn´t be worth much, as there is little you can do about them if you have them.

I'm so glad < $1000 has arrived already. It's 30X.

I want this as soon as I can afford it. Unfortunately I may not be able for many months.

We sequence genomes at industry standard depth of 30X average coverage using an Illumina HiSeq X system. The test is performed in our CLIA laboratory following LDT regulations. Each test is reviewed and released by a physician trained in genetics with over 10 years of experience in Next Generation Sequencing. Pre and post-test genetic counseling are available through our team of certified and licensed genetic counselors. Additional genetic counseling can be requested at any time for an additional fee.

maddietod

I asked my doctor about this, and he said "it looks very cool but really matters what kinds of genes they are going to test and how much they know or want to get into supplements." So I guess a lot depends on how much usable information you get in the interpretation.

I couldn't find a sample report.

Valentijn

I asked my doctor about this, and he said "it looks very cool but really matters what kinds of genes they are going to test and how much they know or want to get into supplements."
It's whole genome sequencing ... so it's testing all of the genes, and everything else too.

Worrying about supplement interpretations seems a bit ... frivolous :p If that is the main concern, then trial and error without genetic input is probably cheaper and easier.

I couldn't find a sample report.

https://www.veritasgenetics.com/mygenome-demo#sec-9 seems to have some more data. Looks similar to the data 23andMe used to show. Basically superficial automated stuff showing minor impacts mostly, and not the serious stuff. But it wouldn't be too hard to compare it to a database of known pathogenic SNPs.

It's nowhere near the sort of interpretation that other companies are charging hundreds of dollars for.

Waverunner

It would be awesome if anyone could tell us how the results and interpretation look like. I hope they make it available to international customers as well, like Gene by Gene does.

maddietod

So far I've found out that the test is performed on urine. I've asked if they have a sample interpretation I could share with my doctor and am waiting for a reply.

Valentijn

So far I've found out that the test is performed on urine.
That's really really weird.

ETA: are you sure they said urine? I searched their site, and urine isn't mentioned at all, but there is a question in the FAQ about blood versus saliva.

Last edited:

Valentijn

Oh, on the page "for Providers" it says:
Variants of uncertain significance (VUS)
Variants of uncertain significance (VUS) are reported in a supplemental report. In some cases, VUSs may be worth evaluating further based on patient’s personal and family history to determine if a VUS may in fact have clinical significance. VUS findings may warrant further confirmatory or diagnostic testing.
That's very good news ... it means they're already automatically sorting out potential problems, and making a separate list of them.

maddietod

That's really really weird.

ETA: are you sure they said urine? I searched their site, and urine isn't mentioned at all, but there is a question in the FAQ about blood versus saliva.

My bad, not urine, saliva. Their reply to my email query: "We will then send you a saliva collection kit with a prepaid return label on the packaging"

Valentijn

Would you clarify what you mean by this, Valentijn?
When genetics services charge hundreds of dollars for interpretation, they are looking for known pathogenic or potentially pathogenic mutations. This probably involves some automation for the known pathogenic mutations, but then hands-on assessment from a live human being to check the specific effects of the mutations. And similarly it would need a human being involved to look into suspicious new mutations which have not yet been published about.

Based on the screenshots shown on the mobile device, the interpretations included with $999 price tag are very basic and mostly frivolous. Basically what 23andMe shows (or used to show in the US) ... how well do you metabolize caffeine, etc? And just a handful of the more common serious mutations (haemochromatosis, etc).

So it looks like the basic interpretation is largely useless stuff, but they'll do proper interpretations of results in the context of serious genetic diseases, for an extra fee.