• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FOI charges ruled out after review

A.B.

Does this mean that White's campaign to exempt universities from the FOIA has failed?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Does this mean that White's campaign to exempt universities from the FOIA has failed?
I have no information other than the article. The BBC chose to lead with the headline about charges, probably because that's what they think most of their readers are most concerned about. But if the minister says "we will not make any legal changes" then my hopeful interpretation is that that must include university exemptions, because that would be a legal change? I expect as the scientific media report it someone will spell it out for us.

Stewart

This seems like good news - but I think all the articles so far have been based on the UK Government's pre-briefings. It sounds good, but we need to check the report when it's published later today to make sure there are no unpleasant surprises hiding in the detail. If the Government *had* decided to grant some FoI exemptions for research institutes they certainly wouldn't highlight this point in press releases that were designed to produce positive headlines.

Simon

Interesting comment on the BBC website:
FOI Commission: Why has it surprised observers? - BBC News
100. Posted by Clear Incite
on 8 minutes ago
95. Peter_Sym

If you work in science in any area where any public money is spent you'll find its not 'a few' spurious requests. Its half a dozen a day from organisations like PETA.

Yes but I prefer your legalised harassment (discomfort), than not being legal allowed to do it, or arrested or worse ignored for asking pertinent questions

Bob

Last edited:

jimells

BBC said:
Freedom of Information charges ruled out after review

"After 10 years, we took the decision to review the Freedom of Information Act and we have found it is working well," he said.

"We will not make any legal changes to FoI. We will spread transparency throughout public services, making sure all public bodies routinely publish details of senior pay and perks.

"After all, taxpayers should know if their money is funding a company car or a big pay-off."

The government has chosen not to legislate to shore up ministers' powers to veto the release of information.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35693236

I haven't read the details yet. The PACE people are quickly reaching the end of the road on releasing the data. It has been clear that they have been lobbying for changes and that their strategy is to delay, delay, delay while attempting to change the law. That strategy is now dead. Anybody have an idea what they might try next?

I wonder if this means the insurance industry is finally cutting these people loose. In the US, powerful industry lobbies get changes to laws all the time. It's how the place works. I imagine in the UK it is similar.

Stewart

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35693236

I haven't read the details yet. The PACE people are quickly reaching the end of the road on releasing the data. It has been clear that they have been lobbying for changes and that their strategy is to delay, delay, delay while attempting to change the law. That strategy is now dead. Anybody have an idea what they might try next?

I think Plan A will be to get the Information Commissioner's judgement from last October overturned (if they can). It looks like Plan B is establishing the 'robust trusted independent system to protect anonymity' that Wessely tweeted about at the end of January (and which the Bishop/Lewandowsky 'Nature' article seems to have been preparing the ground for). In other words, a new body with a fresh veneer of respectability which will use concerns about patient confidentiality to justify refusing data requests.

Last edited:

JohnCB

Immoderate

This blog from Coyne yesterday is largely cut and paste of stuff I have already seen, mostly from news sources such as BBC.