• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Practical ways of looking nice

L'engle

moogle
@SOC It's true about the make up. I've suffered rosacea and skin rash since my early twenties and if I applied my make up in a public washroom or where there were people around I would catch the 'oh, you're a make up girl? I thought you weren't shallow...' type attitude. Yet not wearing it and looking like I have a permanent sunburn hardly does wonders for my self estemm and others judgment either. I don't consider my complexion to be an inherent part of my personality that I have to proudly display. I'd rather draw attention away from it if I can.

The only virtuous thing is to be naturally perfect looking, apparently.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
... if I applied my make up in a public washroom or where there were people around I would catch the 'oh, you're a make up girl? I thought you weren't shallow...' type attitude. Yet not wearing it and looking like I have a permanent sunburn hardly does wonders for my self esteem and others judgment either.
The only virtuous thing is to be naturally perfect looking, apparently.

@L'engle, sorry that happened to you. Your comment reminded me of this cartoon:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/04/policing-womens-clothing/

Calathea

Perfect! And yay for a cleaveagey woman with a walking stick! I do get sick of being desexualised by other people and getting weird looks if I do something like combine a wheelchair with a sexy top. Do you know, most wheelchair fashion advice articles begin by pointing out that cleavage and short skirts go further than you'd expect when you're using a wheelchair? It's true, but should it be the first thing that always gets mentioned? Also I bloody well know that people can see down your top when you're lower down than them, and even if I weren't a shortarse, I'd be aware of the effect you get from sitting in a chair when someone else is standing. There's even somewhere selling a strap to keep your legs together in a wheelchair.

The Debenhams coat turned up and somehow managed to be very heavy while still being too thin. I think I'll get the South padded maxi coat that's going on eBay instead. It's very long, ankle length I think, plain black, nice lines, and it'll be much lighter than a faux wool coat.

I also bought some knee boots, warmly lined, that are a size too big, so that I can keep both pairs of thick socks on. They're not bad, wide enough to tuck jeans into if need be, but the buckles are painted plastic instead of metal, I'd probably want a darker colour, and I'm not quite sure there's enough space in the foot.

Mij

Has anyone found a gentle mascara that doesn't make your eyes sting...or smudge. I really miss wearing it but my eyes seem to hate it.
Also has anyone found a lip tint or similar that stays on and doesn't decorate your cups, pillows etc?

Used to look quite good- I miss my days of looking nice! :(
:(

I only use this one because I also have problems with stinging and irritation.
http://pureanada.ca/eyes/mascara/

I like Bare Minerals too but I've switched over to a Canadian brand because it's easier to order.

There are other natural type mascaras that contain bees wax but I find they don't last long or only provide a small amount of pigment.

JaimeS

Has anyone found a gentle mascara that doesn't make your eyes sting...or smudge. I really miss wearing it but my eyes seem to hate it.
Also has anyone found a lip tint or similar that stays on and doesn't decorate your cups, pillows etc?

I use MAC lip gloss. It really stays on, but even if it fades a bit, the color isn't strong enough to give you a ring around your mouth!

Watch out and don't order anything that advertises itself as a lip plumper. It's creepy. MAC is somewhat expensive, but even my dentist has remarked how crazy it is that it stays on even during dental work!

Jaime

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Knowing that makeup can have chemicals that could possibly add to the "toxic burden" I already have, I won't use anything that isn't rated well on skin deep--http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/. The means only buying at health food stores or online--more expensive but I feel more comfortable with this choice. Buying from these sources, I have never had mascara that stings.

hellytheelephant

I use MAC lip gloss. It really stays on, but even if it fades a bit, the color isn't strong enough to give you a ring around your mouth!

Watch out and don't order anything that advertises itself as a lip plumper. It's creepy. MAC is somewhat expensive, but even my dentist has remarked how crazy it is that it stays on even during dental work!

Jaime
Thanks @JaimeS - have not tried MAC. Does it come off on cups/glasses etc?

hellytheelephant

Knowing that makeup can have chemicals that could possibly add to the "toxic burden" I already have, I won't use anything that isn't rated well on skin deep--http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/. The means only buying at health food stores or online--more expensive but I feel more comfortable with this choice. Buying from these sources, I have never had mascara that stings.
Thanks @Sushi -looks like a really good site. I have found the more healthy I get with my eating, the more I notice the chemicals in toilettries/cosmetics.

IreneF

I hadn't! I've got some samples of this and that on the way, so I'll see how I get on with those, but I'll definitely bear that in mind. Today I have learned that there is a company with the atrociously ableist name of Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, and also a rather lovely-sounding one called Meow Cosmetics. The latter have 86 different colours for skin tone, all named after cats. Considering the rampant racism in the cosmetics industry, with so little available for people of colour, that's awesome. It looks like nice stuff, very minimal (mineral) ingredients, if you're in the US.
I had to send a link to Meow Cosmetics to my cat-obsessed daughter. It's nice that they have light colors. We're both naturally fair, but I hardly ever go outside, so I have that living-under-a-rock look. Plus my skin is getting weird blotches.

Bareminerals voluminising mascara or the 100 percent pure one...check out the lip tints by 100 percent pure, kjaer weis and rms! and if you want something that's cost effective, clean and nontoxic check out silk naturals

edit: just saw that you're in england... check out lily lolo's macara! google naturismo, they stock lily lolo i believe... it's the best mascara in the green beauty world

hellytheelephant

Any of you ladies based in UK can recommend ;
-winter trousers that look reasonable but are really comfy when lying down.( some sort of yoga pants?)
-Have got a mobility scooter ( it's fab), but now am also wondering about length of coat....( I have er...'grown out' of my last one. What works for you?

perchance dreamer

I'm always looking for socks that will work with ankle boots. I want cotton ones that are shorter than knee socks, but are long enough for my boots. It's hard to find ones that aren't so tight they cause pain, yet don't slide down and make me yank at them all day.