• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A supportive view of Wallit from CortJohnson.org

geraldt52

What a shock. Not. If Cort can paint Elizabeth Unger and Suzanne Vernon as having done great work for us, I can't see why he wouldn't be happy with Wallit.

halcyon

So basically Dr. Wallit has a split personality. His research says one thing, but in person he says another thing, but we should just believe his research.

Sorry, but no. The video interview tells us everything we need to know about his beliefs. He clearly acts on these beliefs, it is his desire to "rewrite the narrative", and he does so by giving talks to practicing clinicians telling them it is OK to ignore fibromyalgia patients symptoms and to stop medicalizing it. If what this guy is telling clinicians is different than what his research shows, then that is a huge ethical breach.

waiting

Yes, but see in the Comments section Cort's response to my query about how the 2-day CPET results fit in with Wallit's theory.

Justin30

I just want to here his views at this point....

The cats out of the bag...he is biased based on his work

Now if he believes differently or not at this point, its either time for him to resign from the study or explain his current views on the illness.

We deserve answers from the NIH...

Old Bones

Not only did the "paper point in two contradictory directions", Walitt's interview seemed to as well. I watched the entire video, and found the content to be a confusing, jumbled mess. My opinion of what he was saying repeatedly switched from agreement (that he was "on our side"), to indignation (that his views were "way off base"), and back to at least partial agreement. In the end, I was left wondering if even he knew what he thought.

After reading Cort's post, I'm even more confused. But, I appreciated the link, @ScottTriGuy . Thanks for bringing attention to this differing opinion. I hope Cort is correct on this one.

Ecoclimber

Cort has always had a predilection for woo woo science. There have been many articles posted by Cort subscribing the cures for ME/CFS through a number of alternative medicine practices that are borderline quackery to overcome ME/CFS. I would not pay much attention to his analysis with regards to Wallit. He is most definitely a bedfellow of his theories and conclusions.

JayS

"Walitt does characterize ME/CFS and FM as psychosomatic disorders but he does not believe they are psychological illness..."

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Sorry, but no.

x2.

Not surprisingly, the comments to that were both anguished and furious.

Anguished, furious, rampant speculation, harrassment, vexatious, militant, blah blah blah. I just ignore the name-calling now.

He suggests one such a narrative might be that FM patients are "dealing with the difficulties of just being a human". Given his belief that there's little modern medicine can do to help FM, that approach makes some sense.
This perspective could be construed as being is similar to that seen in Buddhism where having an illness is simply part of being human. We're all going to be sick - have our bodies break down - whether earlier or later - at some point; i.e. this is one of the difficulties of being human.
Wallitt asserted that FM patients brains are creating sensations that are causing them pain and inhibiting them from doing what they want to do. That's inherently upsetting particularly to people in western societies who believe that good health is their god given right but Wallets asserts that that narrative is unhelpful in FM.

I live in a western society. I do not believe health is a god given right. I know that sickness is part of being human. I am human. Therefore I'm as likely to get M.E. as anyone else. I don't ask "why me?", because why not me?

I get all that. I don't need Wallit, Cort, or "Buddhism" to explain it to me, and the assumption that I do is patronising. AFAIK it is not the purpose of the NIH study to preach inner wisdom and correct the erroneous western thinking of M.E. patients, but to do science.

Can't be bothered wading through the rest of that drivel, I have enough difficulties being human already (not that I'm complaining or think that I should be exempt) without adding to them by allowing such nonsense to take up too much of my time.

chipmunk1

if you watch the interview it's clear that what Wallit is doing is not real science. Wallit is way to vague.

Either he does not know or understand the mechanisms or he does not want us to know.

Strangely a lot of people fall for it.

Wallitt asserted that FM patients brains are creating sensations that are causing them pain and inhibiting them from doing what they want to do.

and he recommends not treating them, based on his "philosophy".

"Walitt does characterize ME/CFS and FM as psychosomatic disorders but he does not believe they are psychological illness..."

they are normal ordinary experience.

This is a new trend in medicine, maybe because conversion disorder is so controversial: You are not mentally ill your symptoms are normal, everyone has them.

The treatment guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Society of America dismiss persistent symptoms of patients with chronic Lyme disease (CLD) as no more than the “aches and pains of daily living”

https://www.lymedisease.org/lymepol...hes-and-pains-of-daily-living-is-this-true-2/

Last edited:

Justin30

I just dont umderstand why they have it out for us FM and CFS/ME folks whats there problem? We could be their husband, wife, child, aunt, uncle, etc. That is sick help us legistimize this illness that the powers to be have covered up for years.

jimells

I just dont umderstand why they have it out for us FM and CFS/ME folks whats there problem?

This interview of Tom Hennessey by Cort explains the situation quite clearly. It is just as timely today as when it was first published.

The big multinational insurance companies have literally billions of dollars invested in portraying us as mentally ill malingerers who are out to defraud them.

Our corrupt congress has allowed big donors to write laws that say “if you are physically ill, they have to pay you disability until you are age 65! – but if you are declared MENTALLY ill, they can either deny your claim completely, or just pay you two years TOTAL, and then they can let you starve to death.

Any questions?

Old Bones

This interview of Tom Hennessey by Cort explains the situation quite clearly. It is just as timely today as when it was first published.

Years ago, when there were monthly support meetings in my city, the issue of disability insurance was raised. I remember being told of an insurance industry study that determined less than one percent of disability claims were fraudulent. Despite this, one of the largest disability insurers in the U.S. sent a letter to every single recipient they had, advising that a review had determined they were "fit for work", and their payments were being discontinued. This was done despite the fact some of the recipients were in a coma, or on life-support in extended care facilities, etc. The insurance company knew that only a certain percentage would appeal the decision. It was a conscious plan to become more profitable by removing individuals with no chance of recovery from their books.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I just dont umderstand why they have it out for us FM and CFS/ME folks whats there problem? We could be their husband, wife, child, aunt, uncle, etc. That is sick help us legistimize this illness that the powers to be have covered up for years.
I think we also live in a culture that is repulsed by the notion of laziness and not pushing forward against any obstacles such as a chronic illness. Just think of how most friends/family members/coworkers treat us: "Are you taking vitamin xxx, are you exercising, are you getting enough rest, are you meditating, have you given up gluten/sugar/meat, etc.?"

It comes down to lay persons and doctors thinking that if ME/CFS sufferers would just change their behavior, we would be cured, or at least improved.

Old Bones

It comes down to lay persons and doctors thinking that if ME/CFS sufferers would just change their behavior, we would be cured, or at least improved.

Here's my most memorable comment from a "friend" -- only one of several overt insults during an evening
spent in his home: "Maybe by the time you're 50 years old you'll come up with something that tickles your fancy and start doing something with your life".

Riley

Sometimes I feel lucky that I have to use a wheelchair. I'm a young guy, so I think it makes people slightly uncomfortable. As a result, people are really nice to me and will go out of their way to help (especially strangers).

People don't really question that I am ill. You have to be a real dick to tell someone in a wheelchair that they don't need it.

Not that I don't still have friction with certain close relatives and friends that knew me before I was sick, but I know some things they say are just out of frustration with the situation.