• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain-cooling for insomnia?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just read this:

http://fibromapp.com/top-5-best-sle...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Alyssa Reid said:
3. THE CHILLED PILLOW MAT
Ok, I actually use the cheaper version of the cooling mat pillow – fraction of the price of the name brand that rhymes with ‘pillow’ – same results and great reviews on Amazon! Simply slide this pad into your pillow case and chill out!

51PnAC2DnYL.jpg
Studies have shown that cooling our heads has been shown to help us get to sleep faster and longer. I know for myself, having a cool head in using either one of these packs or just ice packs at the base of my head help my insomnia quite remarkably.

Personally, anything that is not medication related and that can do the job naturally, with no side effects, is my kind of product!

As well, people with CFS/ME find that it can really help them relax and sleep due to potentially reducing swelling of the brain.

Anybody tried anything like this, or have a view of the literature?

ahmo

I used to keep a couple hot water bottles in the refrigerator. Used one while the other was cooling. Placed behind back or neck. happily, haven't needed them this summer.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I used to keep a couple hot water bottles in the refrigerator. Used one while the other was cooling. Placed behind back or neck. happily, haven't needed them this summer.

You haven't tried cooling your brain, though, specifically? That seems to be the suggestion here for insomnia.

rosie26

I would use it during the day a few hours at a time. I don't think I would want to use it all night while sleeping. I get a lot of heat in my head. It is not as bad as it once was though. Getting as much heat out as possible certainly helps headaches and alleviating a sore neck which helps for a more comfortable sleep.

panckage

I always find I sleep best under warm blankets and my window wide open with the cold air falling on my head. So comfortable! Interesting they have a product for this now.... Somebody please buy this and report back :rofl:

panckage

I know that a number of surgeons use this in the operating room, but don't remember why! Looking cute would not be the answer. :lol:
Well cold slows down inflammation and I think slows down blood loss too. Cold slows down living processes so it give surgeons more time to work or play with your insides ;)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Well cold slows down inflammation and I think slows down blood loss too. Cold slows down living processes so it give surgeons more time to work or play with your insides ;)
Sorry, I meant that the surgeons wear these, not those being operated on!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Definitely find my buckwheat pillow and silk pillowcase helps.

I was surprised on Amazon to see loads of people raving about how comfortable a buckwheat pillow was.

So I'm getting the impression that no-one has tried brain cooling - just people whose heads run hot trying to get them a normal temperature?

brenda

Well its a little more than just a cooler surface area, its the ability to position it in the most supportive position, for the pillow that is. Silk us cooling too. Would love to try more drastic cooling though.

taniaaust1

I have cooling mats both on my pillow and my bed I sometimes use (ones which are like filled with that special gell stuff to to draw out heat.."phase change" material). They work really well to stay a bit cooler. It doesn't get too cold but is cool. I highly recommend.

I'm not sure if it helps my insomnia (I need to pay more attention at when Im using it and when Im not) except when I'm a little warm which I get very easily but its very worth it due to keeping myself more temperature comfortable (I can often run low grade fevers with the ME.. past couple times Ive been at hospital they've said I was running a fever).

This would have to be the best thing I brought last year to deal with my symptoms. It wasn't cheap.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

Photo of my bedroom set up I use whenever its warm.. (I sometimes don't bother covering the pads and lay directly on them. I drawl heaps in my sleep so end up sometimes with wet pillow when I'm not using cooling pad). I use the bed pad diagonally so I have more pad to lay on).

I also have slide under the bed adjustable swivel table which can be seen in my photo, which can swivel right above the bed.

my bedroom set up.JPG

ahmo

You haven't tried cooling your brain, though, specifically? That seems to be the suggestion here for insomnia.
I considered it brain-cooling on my neck. Not a hat, though.

I've used buckwheat pillows, but no longer sleep directly on them. The fat ones became too firm, the looser ones not firm enough.