• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Absorption problems

I read about MTHFR and a lot of the symptoms are things that I have had. I have been diagnosed with CFS and bipolar disorder but they both went away when I stopped eating gluten, soy, yeast and dairy 10 years ago. Actually the bipolar went away immediately and the CFS went away 2 years later. About 2 years ago my IBS went on vacation when I did some work with probiotics (and other stuff). It came back last month when I went on a whole30 diet.

Anyway when I heard about the MTHFR gene mutation, all of my "syndromes" had a common cause. So I am going to be doing a genetic test. I thought while I was waiting for the response, I would do a test with a methylated b-complex. I have been taking 1 daily:
  • Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin-5-phosphate sodium) 2.5 mg
  • Vitamin B3 (Niacin-from 129 mg Inositol Hexanicotinate per capsule) 118 mg 197%
  • Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxal-5-phosphate) 33 mg 550%
  • Folic Acid (calcium L-5-methyltretrahydrofolate) 333 mcg 83%
  • Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin) 333 mcg 5556%
  • Biotin 167 mcg 56%
  • Vitamin B5 (Pantethine, Calcium d-Pantothenate) 100 mg 333%
  • Vitamin B1 (Benfotiamine) 33 mg
  • Choline bitartrate 200 mg
  • Inositol (from Inositol, Inositol Hexanicotinate) 131 mg*
I thought if I indeed was insufficient in methylfolate or methylcobalamin then I would likely have some reaction. But nothing. Any ideas?

Am I dreaming about a MTHFR connection. I have always had poor adsorption of vitamins, I injected B12 (cyanocobalamin) whenever I had symptoms to make them go away but my serum b12 has been high. I take 10 D3 in order to avoid bone pain and other vitamin d deficiency symptoms and I still struggle in the February/March timeframe. So whenever I have to take a vitamin I seem to do better avoiding my stomach. Could it be my poor absorption is hiding the methylation process?

Thanks for your help.

Weird thing, I haven't sweated in years. Never had to use underarm deodorant, never dripped during exercise. Today I had sweaty pits. (sorry about the tmi) Maybe things are changing but not what I expected to see.

Well tonight I woke up feeling shaky. I think the same issue happened last night but I was too drowsy to figure out that I wasn't feeling well. My heart beat is weird. So I took some potassium. It might be a panic attack but whatever it was woke me up and caused nausea and disorientation.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Well tonight I woke up feeling shaky. I think the same issue happened last night but I was too drowsy to figure out that I wasn't feeling well. My heart beat is weird. So I took some potassium. It might be a panic attack but whatever it was woke me up and caused nausea and disorientation.

Those symptoms might be due to low blood sugar. If it happens again try eating a small snack that contains some fat and protein (such as a small handful of nuts, or cheese) to raise your blood sugar without increasing it too quickly. If the symptoms fade within a few minutes after eating then they're probably related to low blood sugar.