• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RNA virus - replication, life cycle - New thoughts on avoiding drug resistance

CBS

This isn't XMRV specific nor necessarily retroviral specific but it is an interesting blog with Dr. Karla Kirkegaard and Dr. Vincent Racaniello (Virology Blog) about viral replication, life cycles and new thoughts on treating to avoid development of drug resistant viral strains.

http://www.virology.ws/2010/03/22/futures-in-biotech-56-rna-viruses-and-more/

It also includes a lot of general information explained in simple terms that may help some to better understand viruses and ways in which we try to eradicate them (I found it useful). It is long (70:00) and most of the new information is presented by Dr. Kirkegaard in the last 30 minutes.

I've quite enjoyed reading this blog since the XMRV thing broke. I'll try to make time for this too.

They said they were going to get Coffin on their podcast to talk about XMRV soon - I think that might be due in next weeks episode.

CBS

<snip>

They said they were going to get Coffin on their podcast to talk about XMRV soon - I think that might be due in next weeks episode.

I may be mistaken but I thought that it was Stephen Goff they were trying to get on for an interview. Goff is at Columbia with Racaniello (creator of Virology Blog).

I guess a snow storm postponed the originally scheduled interview but Racaniello promised to record and air an interview with Goff on his work with XMRV soon (he said within a week but that's obviously been stretched out a bit and - but if they work down the hall from each other, why would a snow storm be an issue - unless one of them took the day as a snow day. Hmmmm?).

I may be mistaken but I thought that it was Stephen Goff they were trying to get on for an interview. Goff is at Columbia with Racaniello (creator of Virology Blog).

I guess a snow storm postponed the originally scheduled interview but Racaniello promised to record and air an interview with Goff on his work with XMRV soon (he said within a week but that's obviously been stretched out a bit and - but if they work down the hall from each other, why would a snow storm be an issue - unless one of them took the day as a snow day. Hmmmm?).

I remembered it as being Coffin, but I could well be mistaken. Was Goff the guy they had on when the story first broke? I was hoping Coffin would let slip some insider knowledge!

CBS

I remembered it as being Coffin, but I could well be mistaken. Was Goff the guy they had on when the story first broke? I was hoping Coffin would let slip some insider knowledge!

Both Coffin and Goff have been studying XMRV in mice and the lab since 1975. Coffin is well known for his work on HIV-1. He wrote a companion article with the WPI article in Science, "A New Virus for Old Diseases?" (http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/1181349).

Coffin introduces Goff as a good friend and long time colleague before Goff's presentation at the CROI conference this past February (http://app2.capitalreach.com/esp120...&s=20431&&espmt=2&mp3file=12369&m4bfile=12369).

Goff is currently initiating a an XMRV/CFS study in collaboration with Dr. J. Montoya.

I checked and it does look like Dr. Racaniello is attempting to set up the interview with Dr. Goff. Either Goff or Coffin would be a great interview.

Kati

Patient in training
Thank you Shane, I tried my best to stay with the 70 min program- it was interesting. Not totally sure how much I retain, but it was very nice of them to make analogies to imagine the different concepts explained.

As for a study Montoya/Goff, that is awesome. Will avidly wait for Dr Goff talking about XMRV in the near future.

I checked and it does look like Dr. Racaniello is attempting to set up the interview with Dr. Goff. Either Goff or Coffin would be a great interview.

Thanks for all the info. I'm getting my researcher mixed up - I've always sucked at remembering names.