• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr KDM

naoise

hi

I'm going to see Dr meirlier in April. I am a vegan (newly vegan as no other way of eating had helped so am eating how I want now). No processed foods or grains.
I'm wondering if he is ok with a vegan diet or if he'll suggest i come off it? I've only been eating this way a week so my Heath issues aren't from this!

Thanks

msf

You´ll have to ask him (or Justy), but I don´t think he will have a problem with it, since he often prescribes B-12 shots.

msf

She´s a KDM patient on these forums, and is also a vegan. If you want to summon her, you just need to put an @ in front of her name.

adelheid55

Hi,
our daughter was just diagnosed with lyme and serious gut problems by Dr. de Meirleir. Concerning her food he said she should eat in function of her food stats. He didn't ask whether she was a vegan or vegetarian. So I think he will test whether your are allergic to foods and then tell you what you should or should'nt eat. Nothing to do with eating vegan or not.

naoise

@adelheid55 thank you for that!

How is daughter doing? Is KDM good? I'm fed up of my gut being sore! I'm not currently vegan but thinking of giving it a go as nothing else is working

adelheid55

Oh, she has just started with her treatment so we can't say much. But Dr.de Meirleir is very thorough with his tests and knows how to read them.We have been to many doctors here in Germany. And no one could find out what she was suffering from in spite of blood results which were not OK. She was always told that she was suffering from depression...
So hopefully she will be getting better now albeit it will be slowly.

naoise

@adelheid55 ill keep my fingers crossed for her!

I've only recently been diagnosed with Lyme and Co-Infections after 15years!

Does he give you a treatment plan straight away or after test results?
My gut is a mess so I'm hoping he'll give me a list of foods that are safe!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
He usually gives the treatment plan after he has analyzed test results. This can take about 3 months. He used to use US BioTek's food sensitivity panel to guide dietary recommendations. Not sure if he still uses it. He may also want to test you for fructose and lactose intolerance.

Best wishes!

Justin30

@adelheid55 ill keep my fingers crossed for her!

I've only recently been diagnosed with Lyme and Co-Infections after 15years!

I waited 3 1/2 months for my protocol. And there were still tests that needed to be done. I do not have Lyme though.

He still uses Biotek for food testing.

naoise

To be honest..yes the wait is long...but I'm just happy to be seeing a doctor that will help me! I'm under a doctor for my Lyme currently but he isn't doing anything for my gut. He's just treating the Lyme.so I'm hoping Meirleir will treat my gut too.

adelheid55

Thank you for your good wishes, Naoirse. He will look after your gut very thoroughly, I'm sure. And it took 3 months, but you can ask for results earlier. The secretary will email them so you can have a look at results that are ready.
And you will have a second consultation maybe with some other tests, and then you get your treatment plan.
And yes, he still uses US BioTek for an allergy Food Panel.
Good luck to you, Naoirse!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, I have answered your question elsewhere, but the answers here are all very good. I just came back yesterday from Brussels and have discovered by testing SEVERE leaky gut and SIBO - we will focus on this as well as the infections. I don't think he will be unhappy with a vegan diet, but in my experience a vegan diet with NO grains at all is very hard to do and not going to be that healthy. I am not a vegan these days, but am a vegetarian as I eat dairy.

I found a lot of my stomach woes resolved very quickl;y once the food allergy testing came back and said no eggs - I was eating a lot of them and since cutting them out things have got a lot better.

Good luck with the appointment.