• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinn, Zinn, Jason: Intrinsic Functional Hypoconnectivity in Core Neurocognitive Networks

viggster

It also has the potential to be misused by the BPS school to argue for CBT brain training.

This technology is way too expensive and cumbersome for routine clinical use.

EEG's are very inexpensive & take 3 minutes to complete.

CarrieK

That's great. However, if you read the methodology of this study, I'm quite sure it took more than 3 mins per patient. This is not standard EEG.
EEG's are very inexpensive & take 3 minutes to complete.
Hi. I have a few brief comments. 1) EEGs are way more inexpensive than any other form of imaging, 2) they do just take 3 minutes, 3) qEEG, which is what this is, is not neurology or part of it, 4) EVERYTHING out there has t
Umm - pardon?

Very interesting but I do wonder what evidence there is for the objective existence of these networks (central executive network (CEN), salience network (SN), and the default mode network (DMN)) and how accepted is the ' Menon triple network model of neuropathology'?

Maybe it's all perfectly mainstream in neurology?

Adreno, thanks for posting these serious questions. Structural connectivity is like the street connecting two locations, functional connectivity is the correlation between changes in the two locations and effective connectivity measures the direction and magnitude of the flow of people that travel between the two locations. That is how the networks operate.

CarrieK

Well here is the poop on the triple network from Menon himself:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21908230

It must be catching on, as it has been cited by over 100 PubMed Central articles.
That's great. However, if you read the methodology of this study, I'm quite sure it took more than 3 mins per patient. This is not standard EEG.

It is interesting that today only QEEG is capable of providing reliable estimates of all three levels of connectivity. fMRI and DTI and MRI are not currently capable of doing this and given the nature of electricity these other neuroimaging methods are unlikely to provide all three measures in the future.

CarrieK

Given that some on this forum are obviously scientists themselves, they may find this interesting; others may like it as well. EEG and LORETA measures of brain connectivity correlate highly with the Catani and De Shotten DTI atlas of the human brain. DTI is structural MRI and reveals the actual fiber systems. Thus, EEG functional connectivity (functional networks) also includes structural connectivity which is the infrastructure upon which information flows . EEG is capable of measuring the structural reality of a street connecting the parking lot to the sports stadium, the reality that the connection is functional and not blocked and an estimate of the number and direction of people going from the parking lot to the stadium or from the stadium to the parking lot.

Currently, only QEEG is capable of providing reliable estimates of all three levels of connectivity. fMRI and DTI and MRI are not currently capable of doing this and given the nature of electricity these other neuroimaging methods are unlikely to provide all three measures in the future. This is why the Zinns used qEEG/LORETA.

Thanks for info, @CarrieK! Loreta is new to me and I'm finding it very interesting.
EEG and LORETA measures of brain connectivity correlate highly with the Catani and De Shotten DTI atlas of the human brain. DTI is structural MRI and reveals the actual fiber systems. Thus, EEG functional connectivity (functional networks) also includes structural connectivity which is the infrastructure upon which information flows .
But surely, any measure of functional connectivity between two regions will depend on the strength of white matter pathways connecting these areas (as identified using DTI), because strong structural connections make possible the efficient neural communication that characterises connectivity. So they'll be strongly correlated, regardless of whether you measure functional connectivity using fMRI or EEG. But you can't then say that your measure of functional connectivity is therefore a measure of structural connectivity. Its still a measure of functional connectivity. Its still an empirical question how that relates to structural aspects of white matter tracts.

Or am I missing something?

adreno

PR activist
Nope. 3 minutes of EEG and then the qEEg/LORETA software instantly showed the analysis and the Zinn's explained it to me and gave me a printout. All over in 10-15 minutes.
Well that does sound impressive! What's the state of your brain, if I may ask?