• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exhausted by pollen exposure

jason30

Hi all,

I have this big problem with pollen which i can't control; brain fog/not thinking clearly, pain in my muscles, fatigue and even exhaustion when i am exposed to pollen.
When i walk outside and i am exposed to pollen, and then i'm coming home then i can't do nothing else than lie in bed.
This is now going on for 4 years.

I do have an allergy for grass pollen, but it doesn't matter which pollen i am exposed to.

My diagnoses
I do not know if i have CFS yet, but i do know that i am undermethylated and also have some allergy's.
I also have Anti-TPO antibodies and i also fit in the picture of a mast cell disorder. Candida and fibromyalgia is there as well.

My guesses / findings so far
  1. I have no explanation for this, but I think my body makes a mistake when i get exposed to pollen. I think my body makes somehow antibodies for my thyriod (anti-tpo), and then my thyriod makes me exhausted.
  2. When i am exposed to pollen then the regular allergy chain is there and mast cells gets triggered. I do know that mast cells not only releases histamine but also Cytokines. And Cytokines plays also a role in fibromyalgia and have an effect on the HPA axis.
  3. An other guess is that my body is full of toxins and my liver is struggling to process the waste products.
What works
I can't find anything which prevents the exhaustion when i am exposed to pollen other then not going outside.
When i am exhausted then L-Carnitine and Q10 Ubiquinol brings me back to the world and gives me a bit energy, but this is just temporarily relief.

I try to figure it out what cause my exhaustion. Hopefully someone recognise this and/or can give me tips to handle/prevent it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
If pollen makes you ill you need to avoid exposure to it. My advice is:
1. Wear a pollen filter mask when There is pollen in your environment.
2. Put the clothes you wore when exposed directly into the washing machine when you get home, if this is not possible, then put them into a plastic bag and seal it up until you can wash them.
3. Take a shower immediately.
4. Do 2 and 3 the minute you get home so as to avoid spreading the pollen around your home. If it's on your clothes you will spread it around your house just by walking around and using the furniture. If the pollen is in your hair and you lay down in bed, now it's on your pillow, then you'll have to wash your pillow case.

With any environmental allergen you want to avoid exposure to it and if that is not possible, then collect and remove it promptly.

jason30

Thanks, i am doing all those things already. When i got home after a walk then i take a shower, when i go to bed then i take a shower first.
It doesn't matter if i take a shower after the walk when i come home, the exhaustion is there.

I try to understand what the cause behind the exhaustion is. The cytokines which are released by the mast cells? Maybe antibodies to some organ?

My hay fever started 7 years ago. However, the exhaustion 3 years ago.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Have you seriously looked into mast cell issues? seen anyone about this, any testing for mast cell issues? have you tired anti histamines H1 and H2 together?

jason30

Hi Justy, at this moment i am only using Zyrtec/Cetirizine (h1 blocker). I have never used a h2 anti histamine.
I have looked at the mast cell disorder before and I have many similarities. Though i couldn't find a reliable test. If you have a tip for a reliable test then i would love to hear it.

jason30

I might found the answer to my question.

I have read that a canadese scientist found out that pollen (tree and grass) has the ability to absorb car gasses.
This explains my symptoms since I also know that I have MCS. The pollen moves the car gasses from the highway to me personally and it triggers both my allergy and MCS symptoms!

pamojja

What helped me to alleviate symptoms of rhinitis is high-dose vitamin C.

I might found the answer to my question.

I have read that a canadese scientist found out that pollen (tree and grass) has the ability to absorb car gasses.
This explains my symptoms since I also know that I have MCS. The pollen moves the car gasses from the highway to me personally and it triggers both my allergy and MCS symptoms!

Did you find improvement too?

jason30

Did you find improvement too?

I found big improvement after dealing with my adrenal fatigue and leaving the house with toxic mold. Both things contributes to a high histamine load in the body!

I quote a website:
"Moreover people with adrenal fatigue who have cortisol production imbalances such as high cortisol, low cortisol or faulty production of cortisol throughout the day, are more likely to produce excess histamine due to increased inflammation which triggers the release of histamine as a defence mechanism. Therefore dealing with adrenal fatigue is an important treatment step as well."

Also, the adrenals are also responsible for making an enzyme DAO that breaks histamine in the body.