• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone ever felt increased fatigue after an MRI?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I've been having some neurological problems such as numbness and weakness in my legs that began before the MRI.

I had an hour-long MRI without contrast media yesterday. Today I've have had somnolence (excessive daytime drowsiness), which feels very intense and unlike my usual fatigue. I'm wondering if this might be due to the MRI itself or if it may be related to my neurological problems which will be investigated in about ten days by a neurologist.

If you've had any issues with MRIs, please state whether it was with or without contrast media. Also, if you are a doctor or nurse who has heard of patients having problems after an MRI, please chime in. Thanks.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I've had 3 MRIs on my head in the last 2 years, each one with contrast media. Having to keep my head still for 20 minutes gave me neck-ache, but apart from that no problems.

daisybell

I had an MRI without contrast media, and had toothache for several weeks, with generalised aching in my jaw and also more headaches etc. it eventually settled down, but I certainly felt the effects for a while.

taniaaust1

Ive had no issues with that stuff they inject you with before scanning you. Just going to an appointment and having this procedure done would knock most of us around quite a bit and possibly cause PEM afterwards

meandthecat

I think it is the travelling and the older straight chain contrast media that cause issues for me. The newer cyclic media seem fine which is a relief, ......but that was in a different, newer machine........

I do quite enjoy the experience, does that make me wierd ? I did like German electronic music from the 70s, that probably does make me wierd....

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I do quite enjoy the experience, does that make me wierd ? I did like German electronic music from the 70s, that probably does make me wierd....
:woot::woot: Another Tangerine Dream fan after all these years :thumbsup:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Thanks for everyone's replies.

All the symptoms I'm having are leaning towards a dx of MS. In the past I've had days of exertion that did give me PEM, so I know what PEM feels like: having to stay in bed for an extended time and feeling very cold. This feels different. Last night I had NO insomnia (a blessing, I know) and slept better than I have in 5 - 10 years. In the past, if I had PEM, my sleep was still screwed.

A dx of MS comes from a doctor who takes a good history and an MRI and maybe a lumbar puncture. I know some of you might be thinking, well at least there are treatments for MS and doctors won't dismiss you as much, but this is not a dx I would wish on anyone, and I still have ME/CFS/FM to deal with, on top of it.

My new symptom list is getting longer every day. Instead of insomnia-from-hell I now have constipation-from-hell. There's more happening than that, such as not being able to walk on my tiptoes. The doctor I saw in Urgent Care said to me "Your spinal (thoracic and lumbar) MRI is normal, which means the lesions are in your head, your brain." (The only way I was able to snag an MRI at a moment's notice was due to a cancellation.)

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Believe it or not, I found the experience relaxing after a while. This was the second MRI I'd ever had, so I knew what to expect. Going in, I thought I'd be a wreck after an hour, but I just felt a little dizzy when I first sat up after it was over.