• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium Threonate is like Speed!

I experience the same. Magnesium L-Threonate is strongly stimulating with a prolonged effect. Last year i'd been taking it for 2 months (3-4 capsules 667mg each a day) and for some moment I even lost my sleep at all))) I cut on MgT for a while a I was able to sle again though that stimulating effect persisted for about 2 weeks. I never got the same from even higher dosages (counted Mg2+-wise) of Mg Glycinate etc.

perchance dreamer

I haven't tried it yet, but Perlmutter's Empowering MagThreonate is combined with glycinate and malate. Maybe there's less of a speedy effect that way:

OptiMag-Neuro-150g_5.29oz_Empowering-Mag-Threonate_OPMAGN_EMPOWERING_2.25x9.625_110314_SF_copy_1024x1024.jpg

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I experience the same. Magnesium L-Threonate is strongly stimulating with a prolonged effect.
So far I have not noticed anything from it. I guess I need to take a larger dose...or maybe it just doesn't have that effect on me.

Sushi

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
So far I have not noticed anything from it. I guess I need to take a larger dose...or maybe it just doesn't have that effect on me.

I've been taking it for a couple of weeks in the hopes that it will help deal with suppressing excitotoxicity from what I suspect to be excessive Glutamate. I seem to be having less excitotoxin issues and I don't really notice any stimulant effect either. I take 3-4 Jarrow MagMind capsules per day.

Last edited:
Sushi
One capsule of LE or SN-branded MgT is 667mg of MgT which is mere 48mg of Mg2+
I experienced what I witnessed above when:
1) I took it more than 2 weeks
AND/OR
2) I took 5 capsules or so which is >3g of MgT therefore 240mg Mg2+, keep in mind that FDA-recommended daily intake for an average adult is 400mg Mg2+ a day (including food intake).
If we consider taking FDA's 400mg Mg2+ in MgT form it's gonna be 8 capsules 667mg MgT each)))

I tried Mg in many forms and I can certainly say that MgT is the most stimulating ever. I am inclined to attribute it also to threonate part per se.

I was wondering if you are still on the Magnesium L-Threonate? If so, can you tell me how you feel it is helping, if you continue to experience a stimulating effect and what your dose is? I think it might be really helpful for me and any follow up info is greatly appreciated. I am experiencing leg aches and cramping from revving up my methylation and the potassium along with other forms of magnesium do not seem to help for very long. I also continue to have a lot of fatigue even on Freddd's methylation protocol. I must be missing something. Thanks so much!

I was wondering if you are still on the Magnesium L-Threonate? If so, can you tell me how you feel it is helping, if you continue to experience a stimulating effect and what your dose is? I think it might be really helpful for me and any follow up info is greatly appreciated. I am experiencing leg aches and cramping from revving up my methylation and the potassium along with other forms of magnesium do not seem to help for very long. I also continue to have a lot of fatigue even on Freddd's methylation protocol. I must be missing something. Thanks so much!
I am on and off MgT. it is stimulating when I take 2000mg or more MgT per day (sometimes 4000 which is 288 Mg2+ which is ok).
Stimulating.
At times even too much so)

I am on and off MgT. it is stimulating when I take 2000mg or more MgT per day (sometimes 4000 which is 288 Mg2+ which is ok).
Stimulating.
At times even too much so)

Is that effect dose dependent? On my bottle a
I experience the same. Magnesium L-Threonate is strongly stimulating with a prolonged effect. Last year i'd been taking it for 2 months (3-4 capsules 667mg each a day) and for some moment I even lost my sleep at all))) I cut on MgT for a while a I was able to sle again though that stimulating effect persisted for about 2 weeks. I never got the same from even higher dosages (counted Mg2+-wise) of Mg Glycinate etc.

On my bottle 3 capsules are equivalent to 2000 - so I tried one capsule to make sure I was not going to have a weird reaction and it made me tired - which is what I thought magnesium usually does - relaxes.

Is that effect dose dependent?
On my bottle 3 capsules are equivalent to 2000 - so I tried one capsule to make sure I was not going to have a weird reaction and it made me tired - which is what I thought magnesium usually does - relaxes.
One capsule one time is about nothing at all)) You could've get tired just from anything else that happenned to you at that time)
Try at least the recommended 3 capsules for several days and see.

On MgT again. After MgGlycinate that sedated me A LOT
Quite the contrary, MgT is stimulating. I tend to take it several times before 3pm
I am inclined to consider threonate part a potent psychostimulator.
Pity there aren't any research on threonic acid effect on CNS.

One important thing: if you are or have been smoking/quitting - ALWAYS account for that when evaluating any medicine you began taking. Nicotine and nicotine withdrawal is one of the most powerful psychoactive factors.

There is an extremely interesting new wave of research linking genetics, magnesium and EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus) persistence. There, magnesium THREONATE is proposed as an intracellular-transportable form of Mg2+ for those suffering from this genetic defect.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4306042/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMEN_disease
http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/123/14/2148?sso-checked=true
There are also other mentions on the web, including an oncoming US NIH human clinical study.

heyitisjustin

On MgT again. After MgGlycinate that sedated me A LOT
Quite the contrary, MgT is stimulating. I tend to take it several times before 3pm
I am inclined to consider threonate part a potent psychostimulator.
Pity there aren't any research on threonic acid effect on CNS.

Does anyone know why MgT appears to stimulate? I do pretty well on many NMDA antagonists and magnesium in general. MgT doesn't make me feel stimulated, but it appears to make my sleep worse. I currently take Magnesium in the form of Epsom salts and was assuming that MgT was outcompeting my calcium glycinate, perhaps there is another reason. Any ideas?

Have you compared MgGlycinate with epsom salts?