• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Other methods of taking Omega 3s ...

Silence

I just started taking Omega 3 fish oils and have surprisingly noticed a hand full of symptoms diminish- Ringing in the ears, dizziness, anxiety, migraines, panic attacks, really bad brain fog, nerve pains. It almost seems like a miracle. But there is one big problem- My GUT. My gut is not in an ideal condition and i have major fat intolerances. I cannot eat any fat whatsoever, so when i started taking the omega 3 fish oil it really helped my brain but it wrecked my gut and gave me horrible diarrhea and gastric pains. Such a bummer.

I would like to ask if anyone knows of any other forms of delivery that Omega 3s could be taken or bought?
Like transdermals, or sublingual, or others.

msf

I take it in the form of oily fish, but then you have the mercury problem. Sardines are probably the best bet, as they are lower down the food chain than fish like tuna. Some eggs are also supposed to contain Omega 3, but I´m not sure if you would get enough.

Last edited:

PeterPositive

@Silence
I have very similar problems... I can deal with some fats pretty okay and with others (e.g. fish) it is a disaster.
I have a long history of idiopathic gut issues and the "interesting" aspect of this fat "intolerance" problem is that when I have less inflammation I can handle fats, and when the inflammation flares up I can't touch almost any animal fats (besides dairy products, which are not great for gut inflammation anyways).

I've tried digestive enzymes, additional HCL, probiotics, pancreatin... makes no difference. On the other hand things like Glutathione provide a nice anti inflammatory effect which in turn help the digestion... it's a freaking' mystery! :rolleyes:

Tuna is one fish I can handle without issues... and it's a fantastic and all-natural mercury supplement :grumpy:

Silence

I take it in the form of oily fish, but then you have the mercury problem. Sardines are probably the best bet, as they are lower down the food chain than fish like tuna. Some eggs are also supposed to contain Omega 3, but I´m not sure if you would get enough.
Yeah, I used to a lot of oily fish too, but after i had my hair test done it showed that mercury was extremely high. I just cant digest the oils in the fish anymore.

Have you ever had your gallbladder tested for the fat issue?
Hmmm.. I've never thought to have my gallbladder tested for the fat issue. I just always assumed it was because of some sort of chronic infection in my intestines causing inflammation. But what sort of tests do you know of ?

@Silence
I have very similar problems... I can deal with some fats pretty okay and with others (e.g. fish) it is a disaster.
I have a long history of idiopathic gut issues and the "interesting" aspect of this fat "intolerance" problem is that when I have less inflammation I can handle fats, and when the inflammation flares up I can't touch almost any animal fats (besides dairy products, which are not great for gut inflammation anyways).

I've tried digestive enzymes, additional HCL, probiotics, pancreatin... makes no difference. On the other hand things like Glutathione provide a nice anti inflammatory effect which in turn help the digestion... it's a freaking' mystery! :rolleyes:

Tuna is one fish I can handle without issues... and it's a fantastic and all-natural mercury supplement :grumpy:
You seem very similar to me in that i have an ongoing inflammatory process going on in my Intestines too. ( according to my doctor)

I m curious- How do you know when you have less inflammation?
I've never tried Glutathione. Maybe it might help. Which form do you take??
I used to eat alot of tuna too. That was before i got my hair test back .

Try a vegan omega 3 supplement. I believe they are derived from algae so should have very little fat.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/algae-based-dha-vs-flax-2/

Flaxseed is good too, but if you can't manage the fat then that's probably no good for you.
Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into the vegan omega 3 supplement.
I've taken flax before but didn't have a good experience with it.

PeterPositive

You seem very similar to me in that i have an ongoing inflammatory process going on in my Intestines too. ( according to my doctor)

I m curious- How do you know when you have less inflammation?
Easy... less abdominal discomfort, faster digestion, more regular bowel movements, and less pain in general which in turn improves energy and mood.

I've never tried Glutathione. Maybe it might help. Which form do you take??
I use Reduced Glutathione by Jarrow: http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Glutathione-Reduced-500-mg-60-Capsules/355

Pretty standard stuff... I take 2 (and sometimes 3) caps/day. I've tried the more fancy S-Acetyl GSH which is supposed to be better for absorption but it doesn't do squat for me :)

I used to eat alot of tuna too. That was before i got my hair test back .
Eh... same thing. :cautious:
I still eat it... because it's one of the best sources of protein among my still limited diet, but I've already reduced it by 60-70%.

cheers

digital dog

I just want to chime in and say that although most people have great benefit with fish oil, I became EXTREMELY ill on them. Major panic, insomnia, agoraphobia etc.

Start low and see if you get any adverse reactions.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I cannot tolerate fish oil, but can take algae sourced Omega-3 and enteric coated krill oil.