• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Saury: The role of the hippocampus in the pathogenesis of ME/CFS (hypothesis)

mango

Medical Hypotheses January 2016 Volume 86, Pages 30–38

The role of the hippocampus in the pathogenesis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Jean-Michel Saury
ME/CFS Rehabilitation Unit, Rehabilitation Clinic, Danderyd University Hospital, SE-18288 Stockholm, Sweden

Abstract
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a severe acquired illness characterized by a profound sensation of fatigue, not ameliorated by rest and resulting in a substantial decrease in the amount and quality of occupational, social and recreational activities. Despite intense research, the aetiology and pathogenesis of ME/CFS is still unknown and no conclusive biological markers have been found. As a consequence, an accepted curative treatment is still lacking and rehabilitation programmes are not very effective, as few patients recover. Increased knowledge of the mechanisms leading to the emergence and maintenance of the illness is called for.

In this study, I will put forth an alternative hypothesis to explain some of the pathologies associated with ME/CFS, by concentrating on one of the major strategic organs of the brain, the hippocampus. I will show that the ME/CFS triggering factors also impact the hippocampus, leading to neurocognitive deficits and disturbances in the regulation of the stress system and pain perception. These deficits lead to a substantial decrease in activity and to sleep disorders, which, in turn, impact the hippocampus and initiate a vicious circle of increased disability.

http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(15)00447-8/abstract

A.B.

yalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a severe acquired illness characterized by a profound sensation of fatigue

Is the author unaware of the CPET literature on ME/CFS? We're past the "it's purely subjective" stage.

Despite intense research, the aetiology and pathogenesis of ME/CFS is still unknown

Actually it's a severely neglected illness when it comes to research funding.

This smells like psychobabble in disguise. They love the "it's all subjective" and "there is no pathology" lines. Even when they're wrong.