• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hello,could anyone help please?

I've wrote on here a few months ago about my symptoms of stomach pains. Tiredness, weight loss, off balance, bad co-ordination,muscle loss and nerves pulsating and general nueropathy. But yesterday I went to hospital to have a colonoscopy. It all come back as clear now there want a stool sample and blood test to see what's going on with my intestines eg Crohns or celiac or whatever. Has anyone had similar things like this before being diagnosed me?.. If I have celiac can I make a recovery? And would the symptoms I've had for over 18 months,which have got worse be from possible celiac or dysfunctions?... Please advice.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Josh sash - it sounds like some of your symptoms at least fit celiac disease. I would so some reading, here's one link: https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/what-is-celiac-disease/

From what I understand, I don't think you "recover" as such from celiac disease in the sense of being able to eat gluten. However, people with celiac can get very much better if they stop eating gluten. If I were you, I'd educate myself and cut out gluten and see how I did. In a way I think it would be good to find out you have celiac disease, because there's something very simple you can do about it, unlike CFS/ME.

deleder2k

If you only have celiac disease you can probably recover 100%. If you have it you'll need to stop eat gluten (even in small amounts).

Thank you very much
These doctors are hard work though, I said could it be celiac or chrohns, they just say we need a stool and bloods taken. My cousin has ME and she has bad stomach problems also
My worry is I have developed balance issue and the bottom of my back pulsates all down my legs. Nerve problems. This maybe to do with my stomach in sure

Effi

@Josh sash Crohn's is pretty difficult to diagnose, but after various tests it should be possible to get a definite answer about that. I've heard of people getting a diagnosis of Celiac Disease, completely cutting out gluten and then making a speedy recovery. (Full blown Celiac can sometimes mimick ME type symptoms btw.) Celiac Disease usually means a life long ban on gluten, but in comparison to Crohn's or ME that wouldn't be so bad. Hope you get answers soon! Keep us posted...

One thing about testing for gluten intolerance: if you cut out gluten before you get tested, you might get a false negative result. https://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac-disease/getting-diagnosed/

@Josh sash Crohn's is pretty difficult to diagnose, but after various tests it should be possible to get a definite answer about that. I've heard of people getting a diagnosis of Celiac Disease, completely cutting out gluten and then making a speedy recovery. (Full blown Celiac can sometimes mimick ME type symptoms btw.) Celiac Disease usually means a life long ban on gluten, but in comparison to Crohn's or ME that wouldn't be so bad. Hope you get answers soon! Keep us posted...

One thing about testing for gluten intolerance: if you cut out gluten before you get tested, you might get a false negative result. https://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac-disease/getting-diagnosed/
thank you so much, especially the last bit because I started to cut gluten, thanks for the heads up.
Josh