• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Leaky gut associated with additives

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
This is a recent article in the Jerusalem Post, and this is a paper on the subject - not sure if it is the one referred to as it is from June 2015, but it is by the authors referred to.

From the article:
The scientists argue that processed foods weaken the intestine’s resistance to bacteria, toxins and other hostile nutritional and non-nutritional elements.

This increases the likelihood of developing autoimmune diseases, in which the body’s immune system attacks cells, tissues or organs as if they were foreign bodies. The researchers examined the effects of processed food on the intestines and on the development of autoimmune diseases – more than 100 of which have been identified, including type 1 diabetes, celiac disease, lupus erythematosus, multiple sclerosis, autoimmune hepatitis, Crohn’s disease, scleroderma and myesthenia gravis.
From the paper, which is
Changes in intestinal tight junction permeability associated with industrial food additives explain the rising incidence of autoimmune disease
The incidence of autoimmune diseases is increasing along with the expansion of industrial food processing and food additive consumption.

The intestinal epithelial barrier, with its intercellular tight junction, controls the equilibrium between tolerance and immunity to non-self-antigens. As a result, particular attention is being placed on the role of tight junction dysfunction in the pathogenesis of AD. Tight junction leakage is enhanced by many luminal components, commonly used industrial food additives being some of them.

've wrote on here a few months ago about my symptoms of stomach pains. Tiredness, weight loss, off balance, bad co-ordination,muscle loss and nerves pulsating and general nueropathy. But yesterday I went to hospital to have a colonoscopy. It all come back as clear now there want a stool sample and blood test to see what's going on with my intestines eg Crohns or celiac or whatever. Has anyone had similar things like this before being diagnosed me?.. If I have celiac can I make a recovery? And would the symptoms I've had for over 18 months,which have got worse be from possible celiac or dysfunctions?... Please advice.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
've wrote on here a few months ago about my symptoms of stomach pains. Tiredness, weight loss, off balance, bad co-ordination,muscle loss and nerves pulsating and general nueropathy. But yesterday I went to hospital to have a colonoscopy. It all come back as clear now there want a stool sample and blood test to see what's going on with my intestines eg Crohns or celiac or whatever. Has anyone had similar things like this before being diagnosed me?.. If I have celiac can I make a recovery? And would the symptoms I've had for over 18 months,which have got worse be from possible celiac or dysfunctions?... Please advice.
Hi, Josh,

This isn't really the right place to start a discussion of your particular health problems - it's information about a scientific paper about a possible cause of leaky gut.

It sounds as though your doctors are looking into your problems, and you should know more after your stool and blood tests. I believe that coeliac/celiac disease can be well-controlled by diet but I am not a doctor!

You can search this site using keywords, to find threads on the subject you want to discuss. If you use the box on the top right, put the word 'celiac' or 'crohns' for example, and maybe select 'search titles only' and uncheck the boxes that are not relevant, you should find some threads on your subject.

Be aware that no one can diagnose you or give medical advice here. It's against the rules, and very few of us are experts.

Hi, Josh,

This isn't really the right place to start a discussion of your particular health problems - it's information about a scientific paper about a possible cause of leaky gut.

It sounds as though your doctors are looking into your problems, and you should know more after your stool and blood tests. I believe that coeliac/celiac disease can be well-controlled by diet but I am not a doctor!

You can search this site using keywords, to find threads on the subject you want to discuss. If you use the box on the top right, put the word 'celiac' or 'crohns' for example, and maybe select 'search titles only' and uncheck the boxes that are not relevant, you should find some threads on your subject.

Be aware that no one can diagnose you or give medical advice here. It's against the rules, and very few of us are experts.
Of course I know people can diagnose me, I've clearly asked for advice
Thank you anyway