• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

successfully treated SIBO with herbals

jess100

Hi everyone,
Sorry so long but I hope this helps someone.
In April 2015 I was tested for SIBO by Dr Kaufman (lactulose breath test) and had really high values. They stopped the test after 75 mins with a reading of 100.

I decided to try treating it with herbals and if I wasn't successful I'd take the prescribed meds.

I took herbal tablets FC-Cidal and Dysbiocide (both from Biotics Research Corp) and added in 2 different brands of high quality probiotics (one that contains B.infantis) I based the choice of herbals on a study I read about herbals vs Rifaxamin (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4030608/http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4030608/) and the probiotics on some other research I had done about specific strains.

For the herbals I took 2 of each twice a day (and sometimes would take an extra of one or the other for no logical reason). For the two probiotics (Garden of Life, "Dr. Formulated" brand 14 probiotic strains, and Garden of Life RAW Probiotics Colon Care 33 strains) I alternated between them every night. I did this for 6 weeks but had to stop the probiotics 2 weeks before SIBO test.

I'm happy to say that my Glucose Breath Test (my doc here does not use lactulose) results were

baseline 0
#1 4 (this is because the glucose is still in your mouth)
#2 0
#3 0
and all the rest were 0 until the end of the test, at the 3 hour mark.

It seems safe to think I was successful but there are always questions. (was Kaufman's test accurate?, etc.)
I feel pretty confident that I don't have SIBO right now, although I never really had the symptoms most people talk about-but do have Ulcerative Colitis.
A note about the glucose test: I passed out 3 hours after drinking the prep (which I expected) because I have sugar problems. (although according to all medical tests I don't have problems)
Beware or prepare if you have sugar problems (bring food).

helen1

@jess100
Great to hear and I'm taking note of the herb products you took. (Am waiting for SIBO test results)

I thought the glucose test was inaccurate though. Didn't I read on the SIBO center website about how it only measures one of the gases produced by bacteria? Kaufman mentioned that to me also, not to bother with the glucose test.

South

I passed out 3 hours after drinking the prep (which I expected) because I have sugar problems. (although according to all medical tests I don't have problems

Another example of the complete lack of usefulness or accuracy in many medical tests. "oh you don't have any sugar problems", yeah, I heard that one. Yet straight sugar gives me wild energy swings, vision disturbance, and passing out. And doctors wonder why people don't trust or believe them.

The SIBO test you took, though, I think and hope is accurate -- and I'm glad you fixed that problem!

jess100

@jess100
Great to hear and I'm taking note of the herb products you took. (Am waiting for SIBO test results)

I thought the glucose test was inaccurate though. Didn't I read on the SIBO center website about how it only measures one of the gases produced by bacteria? Kaufman mentioned that to me also, not to bother with the glucose test.

Well I had not heard that it wasn't accurate. If I went through all of that for a crappy test I'm going to be very very unhappy.

Billt

Hi everyone,
In April 2015 I was tested for SIBO by Dr Kaufman (lactulose breath test) and had really high values. They stopped the test after 75 mins with a reading of 100.

I decided to try treating it with herbals and if I wasn't successful I'd take the prescribed meds.

I took herbal tablets FC-Cidal and Dysbiocide (both from Biotics Research Corp) and added in 2 different brands of high quality probiotics (one that contains B.infantis) I based the choice of herbals on a study I read about herbals vs Rifaxamin (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4030608/http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4030608/) and the probiotics on some other research I had done about specific strains.

For the herbals I took 2 of each twice a day (and sometimes would take an extra of one or the other for no logical reason). For the two probiotics (Garden of Life, "Dr. Formulated" brand 14 probiotic strains, and Garden of Life RAW Probiotics Colon Care 33 strains) I alternated between them every night. I did this for 6 weeks but had to stop the probiotics 2 weeks before SIBO test.

I'm happy to say that my Glucose Breath Test (my doc here does not use lactulose) results were

baseline 0
#2 0
#3 0

It seems safe to think I was successful but there are always questions. (was Kaufman's test accurate?, etc.)
I feel pretty confident that I don't have SIBO right now, although I never really had the symptoms most people talk about-but do have Ulcerative Colitis.
A note about the glucose test: I passed out 3 hours after drinking the prep (which I expected) because I have sugar problems. (although according to all medical tests I don't have problems)

Jess ,,, that is great news !! This option may be our next try if son test positive again !
Thanks for the info... Bill

Yeah, great news. Could you share your symptoms before? I have both SIBO and UC.
"I feel pretty confident that I don't have SIBO right now, although I never really had the symptoms most people talk about-but do have Ulcerative Colitis."

Also did you follow a special diet? during the treatment.
Any other supplements you took?
Are you able to eat everything right now?

Thanks for sharing

helen1

@jess100. A couple of details about glucose vs lactulose tests. Glucose is more sensitive than lactulose at detecting SIBO. 40% vs 31% according to this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3155069/

However lactulose can show overgrowth in the far end of the small intestine which glucose doesn't reach according to the SIBO centre website:

Lactulose Breath Test (LBT)
The advantage to this test is that it can diagnose overgrowth in the distal end of the SI, thought to be more common. The disadvantage is that it cannot diagnose bacterial overgrowth as well as the Glucose Breath Test (GBT).
Glucose Breath Test (GBT)
Both humans and bacteria absorb glucose. Glucose is absorbed within the first three feet of the SI, therefore if the bacterial gases of H and/or M are produced during this test, it reflects an overgrowth in the proximal/upper end of the SI (within the first two feet).

The advantage to this test is that it successfully and accurately diagnoses proximal overgrowth. The disadvantage is that it cannot diagnose distal overgrowth, occurring in the latter 17 feet of the SI, which is thought to be more common.

Hi everyone,

baseline 0
#2 0
#3 0

@Jess
I've had sibo issues for a while now---rifaximin didn't work. So I'm gonna try herbals. How long did you take them? and any recurring issues? Thanks! :)

Billt

Have you seen this thread?
Strawberry
Yes, I have followed Jess 100 on her SIBO journey. Right now I have taken my son off of several things and will start herbal treatment soon. Like Jess1oo, he really has no symptoms ( which is good ) but the abx did nothing.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop...Billt