• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe ME/CFS - Media coverage in The Sun (UK)

charles shepherd

Severe ME - media coverage in The Sun (UK)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...hares-surname-with-Twilights-heart-throb.html

Background note from Tony Britton at the MEA:

The news agency which put this story out to The Sun have rather changed my quote to suit them. What I actually told them was:

"I don't know Hollie. But it 's probably fair to say that people with this horrible illness who do recover probably go into a remission, and it requires significant changes in lifestyle – much less stress, improvements to work-life balance, better nutrition – for the symptoms not to flare up months or even years later. They've got to take care of themselves from now on.

"Holly is one of the lucky ones. There are thought to be 250,000 children and adults with M.E., otherwise known as chronic fatigue syndrome, in the UK. The vast majority just don't recover their full strength.

"A significant minority – possibly up to a quarter of all sufferers at any one time – spend their lives in darkened bedrooms because they are tormented by bright light and where the rumble of passing traffic can make then shake uncontrollably. Even those with mild forms of M.E. never seem to shake off what feels like a nasty dose of flu.

"There are no universally recognised biomarkers, diagnosis can be a difficult and lengthy process and, although the situation is improving, many doctors are still unsympathetic. Add to that the neighbours, friends and colleagues who dismiss people with M.E. as malingerers and time-wasters and you have a pretty unpleasant cocktail which will only disappear when research leads us to the causes of the illness, and a possible cure."

charles shepherd

Actually an alright article, for the Sun. At least most of the ridiculousness was unleashed in the extended Twilight comparison (I shit you not), because she has the same last name as the vampire character Edward Cullen :bang-head:

But the ME part ranged between good and decent.

Yes, it's not bad for the UK Sun - the best selling daily newspaper in the UK

Owned by Mr Rupert Murdoch…...

Valentijn

Its like naming the headline about a male AIDS-sufferer "Zombie man - eyes on the grave".
But still better than something like "Zombie Man - Terminally Stressed From Gay Lifestyle" :p They're taking it seriously as a disease, without making it sound like a psychological disorder. They're just doing it in a completely bizarre Twilight fanfic-esque direction.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
But still better than something like "Zombie Man - Terminally Stressed From Gay Lifestyle" :p They're taking it seriously as a disease, without making it sound like a psychological disorder. They're just doing it in a completely bizarre Twilight fanfic-esque direction.

Haha! Fair point:lol:

SilverbladeTE

and elsewhere in the Sun, the "alleged paedophile accuser" of powerful people in government, is character assassinated, ah wouldn't be to stop his accusations causing powerful people problems, would it?

The "Yellow Press", still abusing victims and causing wars to this day

worldbackwards

Actually an alright article, for the Sun. At least most of the ridiculousness was unleashed in the extended Twilight comparison (I shit you not), because she has the same last name as the vampire character Edward Cullen :bang-head:

But the ME part ranged between good and decent.
The Sun generally aren't that bad for ME, Rod Liddle aside. They tend to take an "aw, poor thing" approach, rather than The Mail's standard "I had ME but after six weeks being beaten with live eels I was fine and emerged with THIS BEACH BODY!"

That said, I did spot this last week:
TWO henchmen of ISIS poster boy Jihadi Sid have been filmed laughing as they watched as gruesome execution video.

Hate preacher Mohammed Shamsuddin and sidekick Abu Haleema - who claims to be a London bus driver - are now in charge of the radical Islamic group formerly fronted by Siddhartha Dhar...

Benefits scrounger Shamsuddin, a divorced dad of five, claims he cannot work because of chronic fatigue syndrome but is filmed preaching hate on the streets.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...uesome-murder-video-in-London-restaurant.html
Well, I suppose all publicity is good publicity...

A.B.

Speaking of psychobabble and AIDS, this paper is a good reminder of how much things can change:

The group-fantasy origins of AIDS.

Proposes a psychosocial origin of acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), which lies on the cusp between immunology, pathology, and psychology. It is argued that (a) AIDS is a typical example of epidemic hysteria, (b) the epidemic has at its core an unconscious group delusion that can be called the group fantasy of scapegoating, (c) the same fantasy complex underlies this scapegoating ritual as was found for leprosy during the Middle Ages, and (d) the proximal and distal causes of the tensions giving rise to the epidemic can be found in the group psychology of the US. A combination of unconscious group tensions brought about a subtle and sophisticated sacrificial witch hunt, in which the participants were the Moral Majority and an assortment of other conservative groups (as hunters) and the nation's drug addicts and homosexuals (as hunted). Both of these subgroups are acting out group sanctioned and group delegated roles, and these attacks have resulted in an epidemic of depression based mostly on shame. The core sign of AIDS, the reduction of cell-mediated immunity, is one of the typical vegetative signs of depression.

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1985-14989-001

JohnCB

Immoderate
It's possible to leave comments on the article
I took a deep breath and registered. The Sun has let me type in a comment but then nothing more happened except that I got that thing that looks like a worm going round in a circle (the post-modern hourglass, I guess). Is there something I need to know about posting comments on the Sun. I have Flash disabled and Adblock Plus on Firefox, but I have tried in the new Edge browser as well which doesn't have add-ons.
At this time there are no comments on the article.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I took a deep breath and registered. The Sun has let me type in a comment but then nothing more happened except that I got that thing that looks like a worm going round in a circle (the post-modern hourglass, I guess). Is there something I need to know about posting comments on the Sun. I have Flash disabled and Adblock Plus on Firefox, but I have tried in the new Edge browser as well which doesn't have add-ons.
At this time there are no comments on the article.

I don't know anything about it, I'm afraid. Your comment (and loads of others) maybe be held in moderation.

JohnCB

Immoderate
I don't know anything about it, I'm afraid. Your comment (and loads of others) maybe be held in moderation.
Ah, no, I'm not holding you personally responsible. The quote was a convenient hook to hang my messages on. But while we are at it, do you know if the moderators get in before Monday morning ...;)