• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Cryptolepis cause gut issues?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I've been treating my mycoplasma with abx and they are just not agreeing with my gut

@Martial will I have gut issues if I use cryptolepis? I have Buhner's protocol for mpn and although I cant take all of what he says, I want to start with this.

He also recommends serrapeptase first so the herbals work better.

Thanks. Please tag me.

helen1

I bought cryptolepsis and used it for a short while with other herbs to treat cpn, but stopped after Buhner confirmed it can disrupt the gut biome. This was in a personal email exchange. He didn't give any details.

Hanna

In the 'herbs' section, page 2, Buhner answered to the question -cryptolepis side effects- that is it a strong herb [...]
"I would definitely not go over 30 days of use".

I followed the advice and took crypto one months, ramping-up the dose, and reached 30 drops 3xday without GI discomfort (and took probiotics to repopulate the gut).

I am afraid my daily dose wasn't enough to eliminate the bugs, but it didn't cause much issue.

helen1

@minkeygirl OK I do remember a detail now: he did say it wasn't as bad as rx abx's, but still would be cautious about long-term use. As I'd been working on my gut for a few years, I didn't want to take the chance to undo the improvements, so I stopped right away.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@minkeygirl OK I do remember a detail now: he did say it wasn't as bad as rx abx's, but still would be cautious about long-term use. As I'd been working on my gut for a few years, I didn't want to take the chance to undo the improvements, so I stopped right away.

Thanks. I just started tackling my mpn and doxycycline really helps with my symptoms so I may have no choice at this point. I may get a small bottle to try and see if it relieves my symptoms.

One thing Buhner recommends I can't take because one of the ingredients causes tinnitus which I already have. No thanks!

@Hanna Thanks for the info. I have significant relief in my symptoms with doxy but it's worth it to try. I know people who take herbals for Lymes say they are much stronger than rx.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@minkeygirl It most likely won't do much harm to the gut biome in moderate to lower doses, but you can try Sida Acuta instead. Same mechanisms as Crypto in terms of therapeutic effect.

A friend had some crypto she is sending me. I did see the Sida Acuta but wasn't sure since on Buhner's site he doesn't say it for mpn.
I have to figure out what dose that will give me the same effects (feeling better) than 100 mgs doxy.

How do you recommend I start dosage wise with the crypto? Do you take the serrapeptase?

This is what I got from Buhner's site for those interested

MYCOPLASMA

Serrapeptase: 1 capsule daily on empty stomach – this will help break the mycoplasma cell walls open and make them more vulnerable to the herbs;

Raintree Nutrition Myco formula – this is a great combination formula for mycoplasma and reports I have heard show it is pretty effective for most people;

Cryptolepis as a systemic antibiotic. 1 tsp 3x daily (woodlandessence.com);

Gluten-free diet: Mycoplasma actually likes gluten so you should avoid it, and white sugar as well and also nuts and seeds and any oils that come from them;

Bee pollen to help replace the amino acids that the mycoplasma are consuming – 1 TBS daily in the a.m.;

To help adrenals and energy Stephen recommends the muscle tone formula from Woodland Essence which is composed of pine pollen, aralia, and American ginseng tinctures – 1 dropperful 3x daily;

If your energy is really low the use of eleutherococcus tincture (HerbPharm brand only) is essential. 1 tsp a.m. and noonish;

A general multi-vitamin supplement plus extra C, D, E, CoQ-10, beta-carotene, quercetin, folic acid, bioflavoids and biotin are necessary and helpful when recovering from a mycoplasmal infection.

See also: bacterial co-infections.

helen1

@minkeygirl I took sida acuta for a few months knowing it had a bit of ephedrine in it and (sadly) didn't feel a thing. There's very little in there.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@helen1 I'm hyper sensitive to things. In fact things that are supposed to relax you give me the jitters, like baclofen and cbd oil. i forget what I took a few weeks ago but I felt like I was on speed and it lasted all day and night.

I just don't want to risk it. And I don't want to end up having to throw away more money.

Martial

I don't have huge problems but when I do it sucks! Lol

Understandable, the amount of it in Sida is extremely negligable, however if you are extremely sensitive and it worries you then maybe stick with crypto. Gut issues will not be very likely with smaller doses anyways, even more moderate doses. These herbs do not wipe out gut flora like how pharmacutical antibiotics can do. Maybe taking some Miyarisan probiotics will help too.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Martial thanks for the info. I got my gut back on track after a misrable day of flagyl and a probiotic enema which I think really helped.

Do you know what dose of the crypto equals 100 mgs doxy? Is that doable?

I'll look into the probiotic you suggested but those are another thing I have problems with. I tried many to find one that didn't make me worse.

Martial

@Martial thanks for the info. I got my gut back on track after a misrable day of flagyl and a probiotic enema which I think really helped.

Do you know what dose of the crypto equals 100 mgs doxy? Is that doable?

I'll look into the probiotic you suggested but those are another thing I have problems with. I tried many to find one that didn't make me worse.

Miyarisan was one of the few that was suggested here that seemed to help immensely for a lot of different people, without the side effects of lacto strains of probiotics. Its a strain related to butyric acid I believe, it has really helped me though and it comes in doses small enough to split that it is quite tolerable in low doses for even sensitive people. You could start with about 250mg three times a day ( powder, capsule) , or if in tincture form ( dropper) 10 drops 3 times a day, working up to 30 drops three times a day.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Martial I just looked it up. I do have some concern that it will cause constipation (I have IBS-C) because it is used for problems with that. Need to do more research. And rob a bank!

Thanks so much for your help.