• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone tried transdermal methylfolate?

Johnmac

I'm getting holes in my teeth from sublingual (Solgar) methylfolate.

So I want to try transdermal (TD).

I know @ahmo & others use TD mB12 effectively. I can't find anyone who's ever tried TD methylfolate. Any takers?

A few companies sell TD patches containing m-folate, but they're expensive, + you can't get the doses you want.

PeterPositive

Doesn't oral administration work for you?
Personally I've tried sublingual and oral and did not find major differences, even with significant digestive and malabsorption issues. My levels of folate have raised just fine.

Johnmac

I'm not 100% sure, but the last few days on oral (instead of sublingual) have resulted in much lower potassium demand, so I suspect I'm therefore getting less folate. Also, others (e.g. @stridor) have reported that sublingual increases penetration a lot. Oral does work, but given the cost many of us want to get the best penetration possible.

Because people here have reported higher mB12 penetration from transdermal than sublingual, I am wondering if anyone has tried transdermal with the folate. Or if there's any science on it (molecule size, etc.).

Doesn't oral administration work for you?
Personally I've tried sublingual and oral and did not find major differences, even with significant digestive and malabsorption issues. My levels of folate have raised just fine.

Johnmac

From memory, these companies make only B12 oils. I want methyfolate.

But before I begin, my question is: Does transdermal methylfolate work?

Has anyone tried it?

I think there is a company in Australia thay makes an oil. @ahmo puts lots if things in a foot bath and has great luck with that