• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme and exercise

naoise

Hi

I have Lyme and 2 co-infections (Anaplasmosis and chlamyida pneumonia). I walk daily and go to the gym sometimes but want to get into a routine. So I've read that strength training 2 times a week is good and then up it as I feel stronger?

Does anyone else exercise with Lyme?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
It's a Lyme subforum on an ME/CFS forum. We're happy to have non-ME/CFS patients hanging around, but questions involving exercise are likely to garner blank looks and maybe even some soft weeping :D
Yes I agree with Val - please feel welcome! But this is a subforum for people with Lyme and M.E mainly).
As far as I remember Burrascano and other advocate that exercise is good for Lyme patients f they can tolerate it. Strenght training is good for mitochondria I think, see Dr Myhill's page here:

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Exercise_-_the_right_sort

While stretching and getting hot are good for moving lymph and killing off Lyme. I would go with what your body is telling you to do. If it is too much then back off. If you can do it, them it will probably do you some good.

For people with M.E, especially the more severe form AND Lyme we cant tolerate exercise at all - I cant even do gentle walking or stretching as it worsens my condition an have to limit walking by using a wheelchair, so no showing off what you can do :)

Mel9

if you can go to the gym twice a week it would seem the Lyme is something of a triviality...

Yes I agree with Val - please feel welcome! But this is a subforum for people with Lyme and M.E mainly).
As far as I remember Burrascano and other advocate that exercise is good for Lyme patients f they can tolerate it. Strenght training is good for mitochondria I think, see Dr Myhill's page here:

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Exercise_-_the_right_sort

While stretching and getting hot are good for moving lymph and killing off Lyme. I would go with what your body is telling you to do. If it is too much then back off. If you can do it, them it will probably do you some good.

For people with M.E, especially the more severe form AND Lyme we cant tolerate exercise at all - I cant even do gentle walking or stretching as it worsens my condition an have to limit walking by using a wheelchair, so no showing off what you can do :)

Does anyone know why some Lyme patients do not develop ME CFS? And others do?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Does anyone know why some Lyme patients do not develop ME CFS? And others do?

My pet theory is simply time. Although most people with Lyme in the UK get a CFS diagnosis, people who have been exposed in the couple of years before the diagnosis seem to get better with treatment. I have noticed, anecdotally, that those who do not seem to get better so easily, or as completely are those that have been undiagnosed for longer - often in the 15 - 30 years category. I myself may have been exposed as a teenager - so some 25 - 30 years ago.

I think the infections just gradually wear away at the system over time, causing more and more damage to the immune system and general health of the patient.

Or Valentjin could be right :)

xrunner

Hi

I have Lyme and 2 co-infections (Anaplasmosis and chlamyida pneumonia). I walk daily and go to the gym sometimes but want to get into a routine. So I've read that strength training 2 times a week is good and then up it as I feel stronger?

Does anyone else exercise with Lyme?
You may want to have a look at what Dr Burrascano says in his guidelines about Lyme and exercise for direction. You also may want to look at Dr McGuff's Body by Science approach to exercise which was safer and worked well for me.
I have both Me and Lyme and was able to start to gently exercise again when I recovered from Lyme. However I have so far not been able to resume aerobic exercise. Actually now I just walk as my day is too full to be able to exercise safely.