• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Going numb...after increased methylfolate

Needing some help...I decided to up my methyfolate from 300mcg to 500mcg each time. I have an area of my spine that often aches and chronic fatigue. I started suffering from fibro type pain this summer (starting the protocol stopped the pain), and now I'm going numb. The increased methylfolate made me go super numb all over my body...major lack of feeling. I also feel wiped out...exhausted. I was stalled on healing at:
3-4000mcg methylcobalamin
300mcg methylfolate
and all viatmins on Freddd's protocol.
Taking approx 2-3000mg potassium daily via food..a little supplement based
Any thoughts? I don't know if it's a good/bad thing...like if this is healing or getting worse? I've never been so numb. Thanks.

whodathunkit

Nikki, have you read the sticky threads to do with methylation that are at the top of the detox forum? Freddd had a lot of problems with nerve damage and numbness and many of his posts discuss that. Searching the forum for his posts might help you, too.

Sounds like you might want to stop for a while since you don't know what to do, and do a little research so you can decide how you want to proceed. We can't really tell people what do to here. That's a personal decision, and predicated a lot on the severity of the sides, what each individual can tolerate, and whether or not the sides can be ameliorated by tweaking the regimen with amounts or other supplements. You have to decide whether you're healing and you want to continue or you're getting worse and you need to stop entirely.

@whodathunkit
I can't tell if I'm just worse of if there's healing at all. I am searching threads trying to see. In some cases, it appears nerves may be awakening. I will stop soon if I can't figure it out. Thank you!

sregan

Needing some help...I decided to up my methyfolate from 300mcg to 500mcg each time. I have an area of my spine that often aches and chronic fatigue. I started suffering from fibro type pain this summer (starting the protocol stopped the pain), and now I'm going numb.

I would take a "wash out" period from time to time when I seemed to lose control of the supplements I was taking. I would just stop everything completely.

I'd like to know everything you are taking in detail. Still sounds like a deficiency may have been created. Also would like to know do/did you have mercury amalgam fillings?

I would take a "wash out" period from time to time when I seemed to lose control of the supplements I was taking. I would just stop everything completely.

I'd like to know everything you are taking in detail. Still sounds like a deficiency may have been created. Also would like to know do/did you have mercury amalgam fillings?
@sregan
I agree a washout may be needed. What I'm taking:
follows Freddd's protocol as closely as I can
I'm 99 pounds approx ---and this may be an issue in following it exactly

3-4500 mcg methylB12
1500 mcg Methylfolate
B complex Thorne
Inositol 1/24 tsp
Potassium 3000mg a day approx
Omega three fish oil 3/4 daily
Zinc 10mg
Vitamin water c 1000mg 2-3 pills
Vitamin d 2000mcg
Vitamin a and d from fish oil made up of:
A 4500 mcg
D 450mcg
E 400mcg

Calm magnesium and calcium (2 times a day) ...it has extras in it...
Vitamin c 290 mg
Vitamin d 115iu
magnesium 350mg
Potassium 115mg
Boron 290mcg

I tried l carnitine fumerate ...causes major reaction
Can't tolerate adeno yet

I've been focusing on just getting methylB and methylfolate going well
Adding the others is just too much yet

@sregan
No fillings

sregan

@sregan
I agree a washout may be needed. What I'm taking:
follows Freddd's protocol as closely as I can
I'm 99 pounds approx ---and this may be an issue in following it exactly

I've been focusing on just getting methylB and methylfolate going well
Adding the others is just too much yet

All that looks good. If it were me I would add some type of Vitamin K then round out with the missing minerals (Manganese, Selenium, Iron, Copper, Iodine, Molybdenum and Chromium) in safe doses appropriate for each of them (very small doses of Iron and Copper for example). Many of the Zinc supplements are bundled with Copper since Zinc will deplete Copper but would still get a separate Copper. I always have Jarrow "Mineral Balance" on hand which covers the Mineral bases (I usually just take 1 athough the serving size is 6 capsules) then I add individuals when I feel the need in addition.

You might also look into MTHFRAde as described by Dr. Ben. it is supposed to help one replenish the electrolytes and trace minerals (Sea Salt also is good for trace minerals). I've posted about it: Click Here

Thanks @sregan
I appreciate you looking at these and giving me feedback.
I'll try the minerals...was actually thinking I needed a supplement for it. I've read some of Dr. Ben's stuff...I will check it out also. I do take sea salt daily...forgot to mention.
I'm torn now on hugely increasing methylfolate or backing off.
I think I'm in donut hole maybe?
Potassium seems to be a major problem for me. How does one safely titrate way up on methylfolate when potassium is already troubling? But I don't feel healing is necessarily happening while in donut hole?
Know our bodies are all different. Just wish I knew whether to push or not. I'll be thoughtful about it.

sregan

@Nikki7 when I ramped up I wasn't really having folate insufficiency symptoms. The only thing that concerned me was the warnings of others who had negative experiences. It does defy what your body is telling you when you are feeling terrible to take more of what you feel is making you feel terrible. I think if one's vitamin and mineral bases are covered it shouldn't be so bad.

I ramped up and ended up crashing my Adrenals (which I've done many times before). So for me adding supplements that support the TCA cycle and adrenals were necessary with Pantethine being the most help. Quickly spinning the methylation cycle which is connected to how many other processes in the body is probably gonna use up something we need and quickly.

whodathunkit

ramped up and ended up crashing my Adrenals (which I've done many times before). So for me adding supplements that support the TCA cycle and adrenals were necessary with Pantethine being the most help.
Forgot to add that this is another thing that may have put me a little ahead of the game when starting methylation. I had already done a lot of work on my adrenals and had gotten them semi- in order before I hit PR. Having healthy adrenals is an important part of the puzzle.