• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The inflammatory hypothesis of mood spectrum broadened to fibromyalgia and CFS

*GG*

The inflammatory hypothesis of mood spectrum broadened to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Dell'Osso L, Bazzichi L, Baroni S, Falaschi V, Conversano C, Carmassi C, Marazziti D.
Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2015 Jan-Feb;33(1 Suppl 88):S109-16.

OBJECTIVES: The present paper aimed at reviewing literature data on the inflammatory hypothesis of mood spectrum, as well as the overlapping features with some chronic rheumatologic disorders, in particular fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

METHODS: A literature search was carried out for English papers published in the years 2000-2014, while using the following words: mood spectrum, depression, bipolar disorders, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, neurotransmitters, inflammation, neuroinflammation, cytokines.

RESULTS: Overlapping features were highlighted between mood spectrum, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome suggesting common underlying mechanisms at pathophysiological level involving both central nervous and the immune systems.

CONCLUSIONS: Taken together, the literature would suggest that the borders between different medical domains should be reconsidered in the light of common processes linking them.

roller

wiggle jiggle
i think this sounds fairly good?

very most likely the mood spectrum stuff is caused by pathogens as well, and this the review concludes?

i consider myself somehow in the mood spectrum as well. with all the shit as long as i can think back, i should be depressed. that would be normal.

They seem to have missed a seminal point of molecular medicine: any number of root causes can result in the same apparent symptom. That's precisely why we spend so much money figuring out mechanism of action I agree that lit searching is all that some researchers can afford to do while trying to get a new grant, but please, do it with a novel hypothesis in mind...

IreneF

I had severe major depressive disorder long before I was diagnosed with CFS. A year or so later I was finally given an antidepressant that effectively treated the depression. Did squat for the CFS. There was never much symptom overlap.

This is why we need accurate tests for all these conditions: mood disorders, fibromyalgia, and CFS/ME/SEID.