• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone using ear or eye drops read this

digital dog

Make sure that they do not contain quinoline.
I have been using eye drops for a while now and feeling absolute terror, dread, and suicide ideation.
The antibiotic used in my eye drops is the same as Cirpo.
Holy Christ Alive. I had NO IDEA my eye drops had quinoline in them until I came across a blog.

Denise

Make sure that they do not contain quinoline.
I have been using eye drops for a while now and feeling absolute terror, dread, and suicide ideation.
The antibiotic used in my eye drops is the same as Cirpo.
Holy Christ Alive. I had NO IDEA my eye drops had quinoline in them until I came across a blog.

@digital dog - by chance do you mean quinolone (rather than quinoline)?

Denise

Yes. Sorry.
Just something Im not sure many of us are aware of and quite a few of us have dry eyes.

No problem. (My concern was only that quinolone and quinoline are quite different.)
As you say - many have dry eyes and it is good to be aware.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Maybe change the thread title to RX eye drops? I use OTC and you freaked me out. Also typo I think. It's Cipro not Cirpo

Gingergrrl

Yes there are fluoroquinolone eye drops and ear drops (by prescription) so if ever prescribed one by an eye doctor or ENT, you can always ask which class of antibiotic it belongs to (and if in the FQ class, you can request an alternative.) They can cause retinal detachment and tinnitus all kinds of horrors and are often prescribed to babies who cannot use words to describe the side effects.

My Eye doctor has "No FQ drops" in my chart and I have now even added to my dog's chart at the vet that she never be given an FQ antibiotic. They have different names in different countries but the class, Fluoroquinolones, remains the same. If you tell the doc you are allergic, it is very hard for them to insist you take it.