• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

folinic acid vs methylfolate; how do they affect you?

Kimsie

For those who have taken both, do any of you have anxiety type overmethylation symptoms with both? Or only with methylfolate and not folinic acid?

Thanks,
Kim

Gondwanaland

Methyfolate was a nightmare - I was already unwell from MB12, then Mfolate pushed me into acidosis and to a extremely low serotonin state. I assume the anxiety feeling was due to hypoglycemia.

Folinic wasn't a problem at all.

ahmo

I experienced nothing notable w/ folinic, having tried it several times. I only occasionally got overmethylation sensations when increasing Mfolate, which were easily remedied by taking a MB12.

Kimsie

Methyfolate was a nightmare - I was already unwell from MB12, then Mfolate pushed me into acidosis and to a extremely low serotonin state. I assume the anxiety feeling was due to hypoglycemia.

Folinic wasn't a problem at all.
Did you feel the effects the same day or did it take a while to build up?

Gondwanaland

Did you feel the effects the same day or did it take a while to build up?
I think I took methylfolate no more than 4x and then the acidosis symptoms became unberable. I was taking 400mcg and then the last time I took it twice by mistake (800mcg).

Kimsie

I think I took methylfolate no more than 4x and then the acidosis symptoms became unberable. I was taking 400mcg and then the last time I took it twice by mistake (800mcg).
So you noticed some symptoms the first time you took it?

dannybex

Same as the others. Folinic helps me sleep and helps with noise hypersensitivity. I'm tolerating methylfolate better than in the past (I think), but when I first tried it 3 years ago, it was HELL.

Gondwanaland

BTW my husband took Mfolate 1x something like twenty or thirty micrograms and his serotonin plummeted.

Oberon

BTW my husband took Mfolate 1x something like twenty or thirty micrograms and his serotonin plummeted.

I am in no way knowledgable in biochemistry but wouldn't methylfolate increase Serotonin? I thought that's why it's successful with treatment resistant depression? What defines a low Serotonin state?

Gondwanaland

I am in no way knowledgable in biochemistry but wouldn't methylfolate increase Serotonin? I thought that's why it's successful with treatment resistant depression?
Me neither, but I read explanations from knowleadgeable folks here saying that 1) too much serotonin will inhibit serotonin production and this inhibition has a lot of momentum and lasts for several weeks 2) Mfolate activity in the brain is opposed to a SSRI, i.e., it increases serotonin reuptake and then you are left with none by the mechanism (1).
What defines a low Serotonin state?
Extreme sadness in my and my husband's experience.

I also ask myself how Mfolate acts when successfully used to treat depression.