• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

taking too much L-methylfolate causes Jaundice?

Hi
3 weeks ago i started taking L-methylfolate ~11mg a day , thinking it may help with depression. a week ago i developed Jaundice, i feel sick & tired, skin is yellow and very itchy , dark urine. i already have gilbert syndrome, but this is severe. a week ago i stopped taking L-methylfolate, but the symptoms won't go away. i tried taking b12 but it did not help.

Freddd

Hi
3 weeks ago i started taking L-methylfolate ~11mg a day , thinking it may help with depression. a week ago i developed Jaundice, i feel sick & tired, skin is yellow and very itchy , dark urine. i already have gilbert syndrome, but this is severe. a week ago i stopped taking L-methylfolate, but the symptoms won't go away. i tried taking b12 but it did not help.

@rik1
Sounds like liver problems such as I recently have suffered after taking a specific antibiotic known to do that sometimes. You need to get to a doctor and get tested, sooner rather than later. You need to find the cause if possible and stop doing it. Some common causes can be APAP, alcohol, some medications (some antibiotics and antifungals), some herbs, some viruses. This is not caused by methylfolate or other vitamins. Good luck.