• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Manganese : chelated v. ionic

Asklipia

I was taking 20 mg manganese chelated per day.
On 8th July I started taking 10 mg manganese chelated + 1 teaspoon WaterOz manganese ionic.
I immediately felt a difference : the WaterOz is definitely much stronger/more efficient.

A few days after the change I can report that when taking a teaspoon of ionic manganese I see absolutely no yellow in my pee after taking B2. Same happens to my husband.

This must mean that B2 is more easily absorbed/efficiently used with ionic Manganese.
There is a definite diffrence in absorption between the two, but it also is a different type of Manganese.
Chelated is Mn+2
Ionic is Mn +3, I recall, but my chemistry days are far away. Maybe I am wrong?

Do you think there is any benefit to one form over another besides the issue of absorbability? I wonder if there is a built in safety feature in chelated Mn that reduces the risk of overdose, as the literature on Mn toxicity relates to inhaled and well water sources, sort of like the advantage of chelated iron over inorganic salts.

Anyone who has further experience with different forms of manganese?
Two days ago I started on 8mg Solgar manganese bisglycinate. But I'm interested in other peoples experiences with different forms.

PeterPositive

@MacGyver I've also started the same Solgar product, since I am always running low on manganese according to the last lab tests.

I have used other chelated minerals such as zinc, copper and selenium with very good results so I hope chelated manganese will work the same way... but I am all ears as to which form is the best and why

Thanks!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been taking Solgar manganese glycinate amino acid chelate most of the time for several years. My tissue level has never come above very low normal. I have wondered if I am missing something I need to utilize it.

Violeta

I have been taking Solgar manganese glycinate amino acid chelate most of the time for several years. My tissue level has never come above very low normal. I have wondered if I am missing something I need to utilize it.
Did you have a tissue biopsy done? Do you have muscle weakness symptoms? Low tissue manganese is found in myasthenia gravis, not saying you have that, but it might be a clue.
Also, Borrelia b replicate on manganese.

Gondwanaland

Just a sidenote: Mn is highly estrogenic and I had estrogen migraines for taking as low as 1.5mg Mn. Probably I run low in B2 at that time.

Little Bluestem

Did you have a tissue biopsy done? Do you have muscle weakness symptoms?
I have been doing hair mineral testing with one of the trust-worthy companies. I do not have muscle weakness, so think I do not have to worry about myasthenia gravis.
Also, Borrelia b replicate on manganese.
Not glad to hear that. I have been ignoring the whole Lyme & Co thing.

Last edited:

Violeta

I have been doing hair mineral testing with one of the trust-worthy companies. I do not have muscle weakness, so think I do not have to worry about myasthenia gravis.

I didn't want to imply that you might have myasthenia gravis, just that the article says what nutrients manganese works with. Unfortunately, it takes looking at extreme diseases to find nutritional information. BTW, with respect to myasthenia gravis, I was pointed to look in that direction by a woman in a Lyme group. The best information besides Walter Last's article was at www.equineshivers.com. Yes, a site for animals.

Little Bluestem

Thanks. I will check out the site for the nutrient information. I think I will check out the equine site too. I have always felt I got better care for my animals than for myself.

Violeta

Thanks. I will check out the site for the nutrient information. I think I will check out the equine site too. I have always felt I got better care for my animals than for myself.

You don't have any muscle weakness, do you?

So true about better care for animals than myself.

Violeta

Hmmm so that is why tomatoes worsens uric acid issues (high Mn)...

Sorry, I should have been more specific, manganese taken as a metal, not in food, causes retention of uric acid. There is a different reason why tomatoes cause pain when your body isn't dealing with uric acid adequately.

Gondwanaland

Sorry, I should have been more specific, manganese taken as a metal, not in food, causes retention of uric acid. There is a different reason why tomatoes cause pain when your body isn't dealing with uric acid adequately.
I will blame the solanin in this case then ;)