• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FRANKINCENSE Article - Very Best Essential Oil For Lyme Brain (?)

Wayne

I thought this was an intriguing article, and expect to be giving frankincense a try soon. This particular article also has segments on acetyl-L-carnitine, curcumin, and amino acid therapy.

Best, Wayne

@brenda, @Vineyard1 -- [LINK to Vineyard's positive reference to frankincense]
-

Frankincense Essential Oil

I have been utilizing essential oils more and more with my patients, and seeing great results. Essential oils, being lipid-soluble, can cross the blood–brain barrier easily and have good penetration into cells overall.

There are a number of constituents that make particular oils good for neurological symptoms. Some of the key ones are sesquiterpenes, because of how easily they cross the blood–brain barrier. These help to oxygenate the tissues, reduce inflammation, and calm the nervous system. They can support the endocrine system and have analgesic effects. Some oils that are high in sesquiterpenes are cedarwood, frankincense, patchouli, vetiver, ginger, ylang-ylang, myrrh, Helichrysum, Melissa, and black pepper.

Frankincense in my view is the very best essential oil for Lyme brain. So long as the highest-quality oils are used, frankincense can safely be taken internally. I have patients either put it directly under the tongue, or swallow it as a capsule or in some cases on the roof of the mouth (preferably toward the back of the mouth at the soft palate).

Frankincense can also be put on the soles of the feet; the soles are a good entry point for essential oils, as the skin is quite thin, and yet the pores are the largest there of anywhere on the body, so systemic absorption is rapid and effective. Yet others apply it on the temples or the base of the skull.

Patients love frankincense – it helps with brain fog, focus/concentration, and emotional balance. I have a handful of patients who have seizurelike activity that is now controlled with daily use of frankincense. I have many more who report that their brains are so much clearer since using frankincense.
-
Conclusion

These are just some of the modalities and supplements that I use to help with the cognitive and psychoemotional symptoms of Lyme disease. There are many others that can be helpful, and we didn't even get to touch on the dietary elements! My book, Lyme Brain, due for publication early 2016, will contain much more information on how to help. Sign up to be notified when the book is published at www.LymeBrainBook.com.​

Last edited:

brenda

@Wayne

I have started taking Frankincense again, two weeks ago, rubbed into my thyroid with good results.

It has shrunk to half the size it was and the nodules seem to have gone. I am also experiencing clearer thinking. The one l have is a quality one which l think is very important.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Which one is that @brenda
I've been buying essential oils to make my own Thieves oil, love oregano oil and olive leaf.. but having sever neuro problems would like the try the F, I can always add it to other stuff.
BTW anyone know if I can substitute geranium for the lemon oil in Thieves Oil? would it still be as effective.

Gondwanaland

This is not about the oil, but still
Boswellia carterii Extract Inhibits TH1 Cytokines and Promotes TH2 Cytokines In Vitro

My husband doesn't have Th1 dominance (no autoimmunity) like me and when he took Bowellia orally it apparently let some bacteria "on the loose" by lowering his Th1 cells becouse he got a severe flu followed with cough that lastes over a month. We avoided taking abx, and I think his immune system took over a month to go back to its "setpoint".

I tried Boswellia caps too, but I always get one sideeffect or another even from things that are supposed to help with autoimmunity :meh:

This is not about the oil, but still
Boswellia carterii Extract Inhibits TH1 Cytokines and Promotes TH2 Cytokines In Vitro

My husband doesn't have Th1 dominance (no autoimmunity) like me and when he took Bowellia orally it apparently let some bacteria "on the loose" by lowering his Th1 cells becouse he got a severe flu followed with cough that lastes over a month. We avoided taking abx, and I think his immune system took over a month to go back to its "setpoint".

I tried Boswellia caps too, but I always get one sideeffect or another even from things that are supposed to help with autoimmunity :meh:

Did you both take Boswellia caps?
I also had horrible reactions to 3 different brands Boswellia caps.

But when I take Boswellia tincture, it helps my digestive inflammation and gives me an appetite.
Unfortunately it does little for brain fog/exhaustion and nothing for muscle pain.

The difference between taking it in capsules and in a tincture is so huge that you would not believe it was even the same substance.

poohsilk

Never gives up
This is very interesting to me. I started using Frankincense last November and for a couple of months the put just a touch in the roof of my mouth nightly and/or a drop on my feet or swollen neck lymph nodes. I was in miserable shape and started thyroid support and hydrocortisone as well as a compounded Walsh protocol for high blood copper. I got worse and was in bed. Four months later I got a severe cold/cough. By April, I stopped all supplements, especially methyls/methyl donors, all sulphur foods, kept the meds and, boom, immediately got better. This is the short version, but I had attributed my improvements to the thyroid/adrenal meds and to stopping all supplements. Perhaps the Frank helped? I know I felt very good about using, like the aroma it and still use it occasionally- no particular reason!

brenda

I had to stop using it because of it making my autoimmunity worse and now l know to avoid anything that increases T1 dominance. Pity, it was very powerful.All l have left is rifing.