• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Boob.

Invisible Woman

Yeah. Worth getting it checked out. You may have breast cysts (or something else) and they can be really sore. Do they get worse depending on where you are in you cycle? Cysts tend to be more painful in the days approaching your period. If they are cysts then with a bit of luck they can be aspirated.

Tips:
- wear a high support level sports bra to bed - not very fetching but it helps stop the tissue moving 'round so much.
- omega / fish oils are of benefit (apparently helps reduce hormone fluctuations in the breast tissue itself.
- always wear a well fitting bra
- an ibuprofen gel applied directly to the painful area is more effective than taking it orally

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have fibrocystic breasts. (I think that's what it's called, can't think). It's very common. They feel lumpy and are tender especially near my armpits.

If you have a breast exam they should be able to tell you.

mango

It's more like nerve pain for me (I've had very similar kind of pain in my jaw/teeth from time to time, it keeps moving around). Not lumpy, and doesn't seem to depend on the cycle at all. It gets worse if that part of the body gets cold for some reason, and/or during PEM.

Wayne

I've been doing a fair amount of research recently on iodine, and started supplementing with it with good results (a bit better energy and stamina). In my research, I keep running into references to the adequate levels necessary for breast, ovary and prostate health. Below is a short snippet from this very good article,

Iodine – Suppressed knowledge that can change your life

"Women’s breasts are major sites for iodine storage. Maintaining adequate iodine levels are necessary to ensure an adequately functioning thyroid gland and normal breast architecture, as well as maintaining normal structure in all glands throughout the body."

The following illnesses are related to iodine deficiency:
    • breast cancer
    • thyroid cancer
    • ovarian cancer
    • uterus cancer
    • prostate cancer
    • autoimmune thyroid illnesses
    • hypothyroidism
    • fibrocystic breast disease
    • ADHD
    • chronic fatigue
    • fibromyalgia
What’s more, iodine has been used to treat the following conditions:​
    • ADHD/ADD
    • atherosclerosis
    • breast diseases
    • breast pain
    • Dupuytren’s conctracture
    • excess mucous production
    • fibrocystic breasts
    • goiter
    • hemorrhoids
    • headaches and migraine headaches
    • fibromyalgia
    • chronic fatigue
    • hypertension
    • infections
    • keloids
    • liver diseases
    • nephrotic syndrome
    • ovarian disease
    • parotid duct stones
    • Peyronie’s disease
    • prostate disorders
    • sebaceous cysts
    • thyroid disorders
    • vaginal infections
    • syphilis
    • uterine fibroids
    • heavy metal poisoning (mercury, lead, arsenic)
    • scarlet fever
    • bronchitis and pneumonia
    • obesity
    • depression
    • eczema
    • malaria
    • genito-urinary diseases
    • rheumatism
    • tonsillitis
    • cough
    • stomach pains
    • brain fog
    • allergies
    • menstrual irregularities
    • gum infection
    • psoriasis
    • heart arrhythmia
    • high cholesterol
    • constipation
    • hair thinning
    • type 2 diabetes
    • eye problems
    • GERD
    • multiple sclerosis
    • gastroparesis
    • small intestine bacterial overgrowth
    • Etc, etc!!!

Last edited:

Wayne

Another interesting snippet:

It takes 20 to 40 times the amount of Iodine needed to control
breast cancer and fibrocystic disease than it does to prevent goiter.

Undisclosed

Just looking at the article and following the links to other articles, this appears to be unsupported quackery:

http://healthwyze.org/reports/54-iodine-supplementation.html

Dr. Guy E. Abraham and his close partner Dr. David Brownstein have been repeatedly quoted and cited by the quacks of iodine drinking as "the experts" on this topic; so it is worth a moment to discuss them. Brownstein wrote an entire book about drinking iodine, and Abraham's faithful point to his credentials as a professor and a former M.D. However, their therapies are not even endorsed by their own establishment. In previous times, they were both a willing part of a medical system that routinely gives children radioactive iodine to virtually destroy any chance of them having a long and healthy life.

"Want to join the experiment? If you are already taking iodine click here to become a member, or Order a bottle for $40 to try it out for yourself!"

-- Dr. Guy E. Abraham

I can't find any research that even comes close to supporting the statements posted above. It's very dangerous and wrong.

Wayne

I can't find any research that even comes close to supporting the statements posted above. It's very dangerous and wrong.

My post was NOT about the statements you highlighted. My post was about how important iodine is for breast health, and how inadequate levels may result in a variety of health problems. I do not see how your post and your quoted statements are pertinent to either my post or this thread.​

Undisclosed

My post was NOT about the statements you highlighted. My post was about how important iodine is for breast health, and how inadequate levels may result in a variety of health problems. I do not see how your post and your quoted statements are pertinent to either my post or this thread.​

@Wayne How important is iodine for breast health and for the 100's of other health conditions mentioned? How about some real research on humans that supports this. What you copied and pasted has very little support as far as I can tell -- where is the research to support this kind of thing? A hallmark of quackery is when a supplement is stated to cure or treat every disease known to man/woman. Does lack of iodine cause stabbing breast pain -- links please.

Supplementing with iodine can be dangerous in some cases. That is pertinent.

Last edited:

Crux

The title of this thread is attractive, but the pain isn't.

I've had fibrocystic breasts, and nerve pain with hypersensitivity and insatiable itchiness.

Taking B12, and treating the overgrowth of lactic acid bacteria has helped the nerves in the breast area. ( anecdotal)

Taking a moderate amount of iodine has made the fibrocysts small and soft. ( I only take 2.5 mg.)

There is some science behind it...

http://iodineresearch.com/breastpg3.html

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/35.html

http://altmedrev.com/publications/13/2/116.pdf

Not sure if this helps, but I was diagnosed with costochondritis, which is inflammation of the connective tissue around the ribs (i think!) but I now believe this to be a misdiagnosis. My breast area hurts SO munch I sometimes can't put a bra on at all. Yearly mammograms and ultrasounds show nothing. But recently I was at the gyro's office and he was doing a manual exam and I made him touch the EXACT parts that were hurting - it's my pectoral muscles!

The way to find out if this is your issue too is to move your boob out of the way and press underneath. Ouch! i nearly jump off the chair even when I do it to myself!