• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metabolic Questions

I have MTHFR dysfunction and have developed sensitivities to almost everything. Chemical sensitivities, food sensitivities, smells, etc. I can only shower s few times a week and that makes me sick, wash my hair with baking soda, and mostly eat Coconut Greek yogurt, steak ems (no bread) can't eat any fruits or vegetables. Many meds bother me too. I have tried glutathione and it makes me worse, methyl used made me really sick. My vitamin b12 blood work shows its sky high (1200) which I know means it's not being absorbed. From reading the forums here it sounds like Metafolin has helped a lot of people. Where do I purchase it, what brand is best, and what is the best dose to start at? I have found with me smaller is better to start. For example most people take 100 mg of Diflucsn and I have to take 25 ng. I acknowledge you all aren't Drs and this is not be used in place of medical advice but your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

helen1

Folate as in metafolin is actually methyl folate. If methyls make you sick this will also likely make you sick.

I would suggest you read up on folate and methylation before making a decision as getting it right for your body is quite complicated. One thing for sure if you do decide to try folate start with a tiny tiny amount eg 1mcg, no exaggeration.

@sdatcbtc

Thank you. I can't find anyone who seems able to help me. Each naturopath I see seems to make it worse instead of better. Can't stand all these sensitivities.

ahmo

@sdatcbtc There's a link iin my signature to Methylation for Dummies. Also links for Freddd's Protocol, which include comments re dosages, brands. Caledonia has a number of beginning methylation vids and documents in her signature.

I didn't have any practitioner to help me. It took a lot of research and time, but I've been able to successfully implement methylation protocol, and achieved great gains by following symptoms and using self-testing for dosing amounts. good luck.