• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions about B12 shots

perchance dreamer

I had out-of-range values on a hematology report at the end of Nov. when I had pre-op blood work done. My PA suggested B12 shots, once or twice a week, and then getting retested.

At this clinic they formulate B12 along with other B vitamins and MIC. I spoke briefly to the doctor who formulated it, and she said that the hydroxy and MIC added to the methylated B12 buffers the effect so that people don't get overstimulated.

Per ML:
  • Methionine, 12.5 MG
  • Inositol, 25 MG
  • Choline, 50 MG
  • Methyl B12, 6.25 MG
  • Hydroxy B12, 6.25 MG
  • B1, 50 MG
  • B2, 5 MG
  • B3, 50 MG
  • B5, 5 MG
  • P5P B6, 5 MG
  • Methylfolate, 5 MG
I had read that it can take weeks or months to feel an effect from the shots, but I had my first full dose this morning and feel slightly more energy and elevated mood. It feels very even.

If any of you have had B12 shots, how long did it take you to feel an effect?

I don't quite understand how a shot of B12 can last for days, enough so that with this particular formulation, only 1 or 2 shots a week are required.

I asked my PA if patients who get the shots continue to take their usual supplemental B12. I have taken a sublingual and a transdermal form for years. She said I'd need to see how it goes and that some patients can stop their usual B12 supplements while others need to continue.

I'm lucky there are good MTHFR literate practitioners in Austin. If this shot doesn't work out for me, I go to another doctor who has a less potent form of B12 shots for daily use. I'd much rather do it once or twice a week rather than daily.

Thanks

PeterPositive

I don't quite understand how a shot of B12 can last for days, enough so that with this particular formulation, only 1 or 2 shots a week are required.
It is common practice to administer one high dose B12 shot a week. In some stronger deficiencies 2 shots are also used. The formulation you have listed is quite strong, containing 12mg of B12 and 5mg of folate.

I think you will feel it the very first time :)

perchance dreamer

I'll be interested to see how sleep goes tonight since I had my first full-dose shot this morning. I had been a little worried since I've had sleep problems from too much B12 and methylfolate before. But since this shot has MIC, I'm hoping that will prevent any sleep problems.

If this shot works out for me, I can have my husband give it to me at home, and it will be a good deal less expensive than getting it at the clinic. He'd have to get trained and show that he can do it properly first. It sure would be convenient.

perchance dreamer

@Strawberry, have you started giving yourself the shots yet?

My PA said some people do self administer the shots, but I really don't understand how. These are given at the top of one of the butt cheeks. I guess it could be moved over to more of the hip area. It would be a lot easier to self inject the thigh.

I'm sure people get used to injecting themselves. It's probably just gathering the nerve that first time.

I'll report back with any changes that I notice, and I'd be interested to hear how you do, too.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@perchance dreamer - I gave myself B12 shots for a couple of years. I tried both methylcobalamin and hydroxocobalamin. I forget the doses, but never noticed any difference. I'm very glad to hear that you feel better with just one shot! Perhaps it's the combination of everything, or perhaps I just didn't need the shots, or perhaps I needed a higher dose. I've been doing sublingual methylB for several years now, and also taking folate, P-5-P, etc.

FWIW, when I did the shots, I did them in my thigh, right in the middle where there is the most muscle, and I would alternate legs - I did them 2 or 3 times a week, I forget exactly. It wasn't too bad. I felt like I was doing something at least! :p

Anyways, if what you are doing is working for you, that's great. You may need to keep up the sublingual, I think we are all lab experiments! BTW, what is MIC?