• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Something I learned today - What ® R-Symbol or stars ** or *** in vitamin/mineral ingredients mean

I think it's very important to know if you're really into supplements and want to know exact ingredients, what it's made of and etc...

If in the list
multithera-1-180-vegetable-capsules-by-prothera-extra4.jpg

Can you see the R symbol and the 2 stars ** on Folate??

what does it mean? it means simply that the company factory doesn't manufacture this product. it means they buy it probably from another factory. The R symbol is representing a company or product.

You could Metafolin ® ... if you write in google metafolin, you could see what metafolin is really is and its company site or something like that.

Another example with minerals:
multithera-1-plus-vitamin-k-180-vegetable-capsules-by-prothera-extra4.jpg

See all of these 3 *** dots, it means and TRAACS® ... means it's not their product but they buy it from someone else and put it in their capsules....

You could see on the list what mineral or vitamin belongs to which company with the stars or R symbol
APTubGx.jpg

Albion http://www.albionminerals.com/ is a company that sells the the powder to this supplement factory.. and they mark it with R symbol to represent albion minerals factory who actually manufactures it.

Take in note that so many supplement companies don't even manufacture their own magnesium.. they just buy powders from other factories who actually do manufacture it..

IT also could save you money!

now when you know that so many companies use albion for magnesium, you can go around and search for the cheapest brand of supplement that has the same thing but in a cheaper price.

by the way TRAACS® are albion them selves.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I believe you are wrong about the R. It just means the name is a registered trademark. It don't think it has anything to do with where the product is manufactured.

The registered trademark symbol (®) is a symbol that provides notice that the preceding word or symbol is a trademark or service mark that has been registered with a national trademark office. A trademark is a symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product. [1][2] In some countries it is against the law to use the registered trademark symbol for a mark that is not officially registered in any country.[1]

Trademarks not officially registered can instead be marked with the trademark symbol ™, while unregistered service marks are marked with the service mark symbol ℠. The proper manner to display these symbols is immediately following the mark, and is commonly in superscript style but is not legally required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_trademark_symbol

I believe you are wrong about the R. It just means the name is a registered trademark. It don't think it has anything to do with where the product is manufactured.

The registered trademark symbol (®) is a symbol that provides notice that the preceding word or symbol is a trademark or service mark that has been registered with a national trademark office. A trademark is a symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product. [1][2] In some countries it is against the law to use the registered trademark symbol for a mark that is not officially registered in any country.[1]

Trademarks not officially registered can instead be marked with the trademark symbol ™, while unregistered service marks are marked with the service mark symbol ℠. The proper manner to display these symbols is immediately following the mark, and is commonly in superscript style but is not legally required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_trademark_symbol
You could be right.. i've just read something
"For a product to qualify for Albion Gold Medallion Product status, all of the minerals in the product must be supplied by Albion, unless the formulation requires a mineral that Albion does not supply."

but still it's informative, basically if it's marked with that, it means it's copy 100% i guess of the same thing of the supplement and the company marked in R symbol trade mark..

and people still could save money choosing the cheapeast one since many products use the same copy.. i guess it's same as copy paste and they're equal.. i believe.

Maybe yes, maybe not, i need to look for more companies with trade mark who manufacture the products and see...
i'm not sure yet... i miss looked on albion and now i see that they only supply others with powders .... dunno about others.. will discover soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way.. what they write in wikipedia.. supports my claim. you can not use R symbol in vein.. i mean illegal.. and we (most of us), buy supplements in u.s.. which is enough advanced country probably for R symbol. You can use R symbol only to represent the company or product.

Trade Mark is the TM symbol (which could be used un-officially on product while R symbol is official) .. i didn't talk about it..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_symbol

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Also double asterisks only means it doesn't meet it was manufactured elsewhere. I have not found triple. Contact the company and ask them.

Depending on your age, activity level and current health status, your intake may vary from this amount.

** If you see double asterisks in the place of the daily value listing, it means that the daily value has NOT been established for that ingredient.

I contacted one company.. they said they don't produce the folate which was with R symbol... and albion minerals in their website say they only supply their stuff.. they didn't mention that somebody can put their R symbol if the other company manufactures it by them selves in albion's standards and being tested too......

I'll check more companies to see if that's true. but i think for now it's true. we'll see though.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I still have no idea what you are talking about or what your concern is. There are tons of multis out there with stuff you want. Whether someone does or does not use a registered trademark is very low on my list of priorities. I sure don't have the energy for it.

This is from Now foods website

In many cases, NOW chooses to buy exclusive products and ingredients, and label these products with registered trademark names. Each of these products is licensed to NOW for distribution. The registered trademark is your assurance that the product is properly manufactured and labeled. In many cases, the trademark owner will independently assay our finished products to verify the quality meets their standards.

As one of the industry's leaders, we're pleased to share this information with customers. The sourcing and quality checks we perform on vendors help to ensure consistency, potency, safety and efficacy in every product we sell.

This is more info on trademarks. It has nothing to do with ingredients from what I can tell

A trademark is a word, name, symbol, or device used in trade in connection with goods to indicate the source of the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others. Trademarks are ideal for protecting a brand or product name—once a company trademarks its name, others cannot use that name or a confusingly similar name in connection with their own goods. And if they do, the trademark holder can sue the other for infringement.

Trademarks do not have to be registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, but there are many advantages that attach at registration.

Sea

but still it's informative, basically if it's marked with that, it means it's copy 100% i guess of the same thing of the supplement and the company marked in R symbol trade mark..
It's not a copy. You were right the first time. It's a registered product included in their supplement. The confusion is just in how you explained it. The R symbol denotes the registered trademark.

The asterisks, or stars as you call them, are simply denoting that there will be some note of explanation below. The number of asterisks only tells you which note it corresponds to.