• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

midodrine unusual side effects

I started midodrine 5mg today after 2 hours it dropped my blood pressure almost made me pass out. Was sent to ER they said they couldn't do anything for me. Anyone else have this problem?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I started midodrine 5mg today after 2 hours it dropped my blood pressure almost made me pass out. Was sent to ER they said they couldn't do anything for me. Anyone else have this problem?
I have a friend who had this problem. For myself, I took Midodrine for 2 weeks with no problems and then suddenly it spiked my BP to unsafe levels. It can be a tricky drug.

Kati

Patient in training
I started Midodrine just a month ago and i was started at 2.5 mg. Perhaps this could help you, unless this med is truly not for you.

well since its a damn holiday I have to call Dr on Monday. I had a tilt test Tuesday passed out on it with Bp at 60/23 Dr said it nms or orthostotic hypotension whatever is going I hope they find something to fix it

Kati

Patient in training
well since its a damn holiday I have to call Dr on Monday. I had a tilt test Tuesday passed out on it with Bp at 60/23 Dr said it nms or orthostotic hypotension whatever is going I hope they find something to fix it
Hi @por-cel19 welcome to the forums. Yes, speak with your dr before you do anything. There are other drugs that can be helpful. Also electrolyte drinks should be high on your priority list.

So far Midodrine gives me chills and shivers up and down my spine, and it is the main side effect of the drug. It appeared at my dosage increase but was not present when I started. I usually counteract with a heating pad.

Sending best wishes, Kati

thank you Kati you know I had that the first hour very odd. I'm sad my ER didn't do anything sigh they're like keep taking it you'll be fine. Yah right

Kati

Patient in training
thank you Kati you know I had that the first hour very odd. I'm sad my ER didn't do anything sigh they're like keep taking it you'll be fine. Yah right
They should have given you a liter of saline. i hope they did. Unfortunately most drs do not understand POTs and its management.