• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Palms peeling during methylation protocol?

I've seen a fairly regular mention of skin peeling around the finger nails and finger tips, as well as skin tightening under the finger nail during methylation protocols. After pretty thoroughly searching the forum I can't find anyone that mentions their palms peeling.

Since I have been doing @Freddd 's protocol for the last several months I have had the skin on both of my palms peel off 2-3x. When I say my palms I mean the entire underside of my hands including all the fingers each time over the course of a couple of days.

Now granted I am a bit OCD about washing my hands, but I've never had anything quite like this. I am also in Florida where it's 80 degrees at the end of December, so it isn't a cold weather issue either.

Has anyone else had any experience with such an issue an identified the cause?

Hi @Bluelude1 ---I think @Freddd has written about this several times. He mentions "Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips" in Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency.... If you google Freddd and peeling you should get most or all his comments.

Cheers,
Silverseas2014

Hi @Bluelude1 ---I think @Freddd has written about this several times. He mentions "Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips" in Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency.... If you google Freddd and peeling you should get most or all his comments.

Cheers,
Silverseas2014

If you notice everything mentioned is more or less isolated to the area around the fingernails and finger tips. In my case its been the entire palms which had me wondering if its something different.

Athene*

Just came across this old post @Bluelude1 Yes, my palms peel all over when I don't have enough folate. It happened just last week when I fell asleep one night before I got around to taking my final Metafolin dose for the day. I take several doses during the day. When this occasionally happens, if I take enough folate in one go (8mg) the palms revert to normal within hours