• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clogged ears on azithromax?

Does anyone else feel like their ears are clogged or plugged? Kinda like when you're on a plane only they never pop. I know zithro can cause this and i am on it, but i also know some people complain of this with lyme and co-infections so i'm not sure how to know the difference. It is uncomfortable and only started since I've been on Azithro. My LLMD keeps saying to keep taking but I'm worried I am doing damage to my hearing.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Does anyone else feel like their ears are clogged or plugged? Kinda like when you're on a plane only they never pop. I know zithro can cause this and i am on it, but i also know some people complain of this with lyme and co-infections so i'm not sure how to know the difference. It is uncomfortable and only started since I've been on Azithro. My LLMD keeps saying to keep taking but I'm worried I am doing damage to my hearing.
Blocked, itchy and ringing ears seem quite common in ME/CFS. If you do a search for 'ears' you will find some relevant threads, such as this one.

Daffodil

My friend just had hearing loss from his IV zithro...I dont think his doctor even knew it could cause this. check out this paper. Maybe you should stop this med ASAP?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10778901

my understanding is that you have to treat the hearing loss right away and i think with steroids??

Dufresne

almost there...
I've read a few accounts of people developing tinnitus from Zith. However reading about this subject online could give one the impression, rightly or wrongly, that the ototoxicity of many drugs is understated. My rule of thumb is to never stay longer than a week or so on a drug that's causing ear symptoms. Though I may be overcautious.

Which infection are you taking the Zith for, and are you combining it with any other drugs?

I have only been taking the zithro and then about to dad in mepron. My doctor believes I have Lyme, bartonella and babesia. Also possibly mycoplasma. This clogged ear feeling has lasted a day now. It's so uncomfortable. I hope it goes away. I'm worried it's done permanent damage

Daffodil

I have only been taking the zithro and then about to dad in mepron. My doctor believes I have Lyme, bartonella and babesia. Also possibly mycoplasma. This clogged ear feeling has lasted a day now. It's so uncomfortable. I hope it goes away. I'm worried it's done permanent damage
its not going to do permanent damage after only 1 day i wouldnt think!

maybe your doc could give you a another drug instead of zith?

i have heard lyme infections themselves can cause ear symptoms so maybe its not even the drug...?

Yeah she told me to stop it for now. I have been on it a few weeks though. One pill every other day. Unfortunately my ears are still plugged feeling for almost 2 days now. I hope it isn't permanent. I've stopped it now

Dufresne

almost there...
Azithromycin has a half-life of up to 96 hrs, so don't get too concerned if your ears don't clear up for several more days.

I think stopping the drug was the prudent thing to do.

You might want to check out some of the herbs to hit your infections. Cryptolepis, sida acuta, wormwood/artemisinin. Sida acuta apparently has really good effect on bartonella as well.

Thank you for the tips! I feel at a bit of a loss. LLMD says herbs only won't get rid of the lyme, but every antibiotic i take i react badly to. I just feel like i'll never get rid of it, and i feel like i am getting sicker.

Dufresne

almost there...
I don't think anybody gets rid of borrelia they've had for more than a month. It's probably the matter of beating it into submission and then keeping it there.

When you say you react badly to antibiotics, what are your symptoms? If you're experiencing herxes you might want to figure a way of controlling the inflammation and flushing out the poisons. The better you can do this the better you're going to feel and the more killing your body will be able to handle. Going at the right pace is very important. I've lately found myself having to slow right down on the antibiotics.

The herbs can be a good place to start for a number of reasons. They're generally less dangerous, and it's thought they can be taken for a long period of time with little chance of developing resistance. Many seem to find them helpful.

What testing have you done?

I tested positive on igenex. I uploaded my results to this post. I started having symptoms after I lost a baby about 2 years ago. The doctor believes this made it rear its ugly head.

My doctor believes I have bartonella, babesia and also mycoplasma as confections. I also have reactivated EBV and the MTHFR gene mutation.

I thought I was herxing at first with antibiotics but I just think my body rejects them. I started on minocycline and had to be taken off that due to severe head pressure. They thought I had intracranial hypertension caused from it. After stopping it went away after a week.

I then started zithro and after a week had the ear issues. I still have them now. I also feel like I've started to hear hissing sounds in my ears in the last day. It's just all very bizarre to me. I feel like I'm getting sicker

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 14

Dufresne

almost there...
I tested positive on igenex. I uploaded my results to this post. I started having symptoms after I lost a baby about 2 years ago. The doctor believes this made it rear its ugly head.

My doctor believes I have bartonella, babesia and also mycoplasma as confections. I also have reactivated EBV and the MTHFR gene mutation.

I thought I was herxing at first with antibiotics but I just think my body rejects them. I started on minocycline and had to be taken off that due to severe head pressure. They thought I had intracranial hypertension caused from it. After stopping it went away after a week.

I then started zithro and after a week had the ear issues. I still have them now. I also feel like I've started to hear hissing sounds in my ears in the last day. It's just all very bizarre to me. I feel like I'm getting sicker

CDC positive for Bb with IgM is about as solid as you're going to get. Have you done any testing for the suspected co-infections?

Those who are made worse from treating chronic Lyme are often people who persisted when they should have backed off. Keep listening to your body.

Apparently japanese knotweed can be helpful in decreasing the inflammation of the disease, particularly while treating borrelia.

The other thing may be to treat one of the co-infections first. It sounds like this is what your LLMD was trying to do.

Some find the herbs gentler and some find them harsher. It's my impression they're only potentially harsher when treating borrelia. I've found the Buhner herbs for co-infections to be mostly without side effects, yet effective. And they don't do much against borrelia, so that may be worth trying. I've notice a bit of hyperacusis with higher doses of cryptolepis but on the scale of things it's not that bad. My ears tend to be sensitive.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Apparently japanese knotweed can be helpful in decreasing the inflammation of the disease, particularly while treating borrelia.
Japanese knotweed contains emodin, which can cause diarrhoea and vomiting. If it's resveratrol you want, you may be better using a different source, e.g. grape skin.

Yes I have done testing for bartonella, babesia, and some other infections which were all negative, although doctor thinks I have babs and bart. I know this sounds dramatic but I have seriously felt like I am slowly dying for months now. I just feel absolutely rotten and nothing seems to help. My doctor recommended I take banderol and samento from cowden along with antibiotics, if I can ever be okay on an antibiotic without it really impacting me. I just assumed I would start antibiotics and start feeling better. I never thought I would react to everything leaving me helpless with options.

Daffodil

Yes I have done testing for bartonella, babesia, and some other infections which were all negative, although doctor thinks I have babs and bart. I know this sounds dramatic but I have seriously felt like I am slowly dying for months now. I just feel absolutely rotten and nothing seems to help. My doctor recommended I take banderol and samento from cowden along with antibiotics, if I can ever be okay on an antibiotic without it really impacting me. I just assumed I would start antibiotics and start feeling better. I never thought I would react to everything leaving me helpless with options.
skyfall when someone is too sick to handle the effects of antibiotics, I think my doc uses immunoglobulin

Thanks Daffodil. What is that exactly? My doctor hasn't mentioned it. If someone doesn't make progress within 4-5 months of antibiotics my doctor recommends a picc line.