• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clinical outcomes from BodyMind Approach™ in treatment of Medically Unexplained Symptoms in England

Dolphin

[The three conditions most commonly described as medically unexplained symptoms are chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and irritable bowel syndrome.]

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0197455615300435

The Arts in Psychotherapy
Available online 18 December 2015

In Press, Accepted ManuscriptNote to users

Clinical outcomes from The BodyMind Approach™ in the treatment of patients with medically unexplained symptoms in primary health care in England: Practice-based evidence
Highlights

Documents the translation of research into the real-world of a changing National Health Service.

Background to context and to patients with medically unexplained symptoms (MUS).

Offers overview of The BodyMind Approach (TBMA)™ derived from dance movement therapy.

Summarises service delivery by a University of Hertfordshire spin-out Pathways2Wellbeing (P2 W).

Presents outcomes from an evidence-based intervention.

Abstract

This article builds on Payne (2015) and reports on practice–based evidence arising out of the delivery of a new and innovative service using The BodyMind Approach™ (TBMA) for the treatment of patients with medically unexplained symptoms (MUS) in primary care in the National Health Service (NHS) in Hertfordshire, a county near London, England, in the UK.

The analysis of data collected for three groups (N = 16) over 18 months used standardised assessment tools and other relevant information at pre, post and at a six month follow up.

The outcomes for patients in this small scale piece of practice based evidence indicated that there were reductions in symptom distress, anxiety and depression, increased overall wellbeing and improvement in activity levels.

Patients developed self-management of their symptoms through understanding, acceptance and coping strategies.

The increased knowledge, exchange of experiences together with understanding and acceptance from others promoted a sense of wellbeing.

Thus, the programme was experienced to be a beneficial intervention.

In addition to the clinical outcomes reported here there are other benefits for NHS England for example, savings on medication and referral costs and General Practitioner (GP) capacity enhanced.

The clinical service is based on previous research conducted by Payne and Stott (2010).

This article focusses solely on the analysis and interpretation of clinical outcomes from the practice-based evidence.

Keywords
  • The BodyMind Approach™;
  • medically unexplained symptoms;
  • primary care;
  • practice-based evidence

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
This is not the first dancer who has decided to use our illness as a vehicle to further her career.

Nothing wrong with dancers, but if you want to be a dancer, dance. If you want to help people with a serious, complex, multisystem disease, study medicine. What next, magicians, unicyclists, sousaphone players? Wonderful that anyone trying to generate a second income with their helping skills has noticed that the acronym MUS is now up for grabs. Jump on the bandwagon everyone, why don't you, loads of room on board.

Wow, managed not to swear after all. Just need half an hour to calm down and compose myself.

sarah darwins

Well, I for one welcome our new interpretive dance overlords...

Coming to an NHS Trust near you.

I'm thinking of putting together my own contract bid for the new year. I'm thinking maybe "Mime therapy for MUS". After a year of hanging around PR I'm pretty sure I know how to run an affirmative trial. As I understand it, if I get 6 out of 10 trial participants to tick the box saying "I found it helpful" then I've got a beneficial therapeutic effect (and I can guarantee that with enough chocolate digestives). Anyone wants to help with the launch, let me know.

TiredSam

I'm thinking of putting together my own contract bid for the new year. I'm thinking maybe "Mime therapy for MUS". After a year of hanging around PR I'm pretty sure I know how to run an affirmative trial. As I understand it, if I get 6 out of 10 trial participants to tick the box saying "I found it helpful" then I've got a beneficial therapeutic effect (and I can guarantee that with enough chocolate digestives). Anyone wants to help with the launch, let me know.
I'd be happy to help out offering Distance Mime Therapy for those who can't attend in person.

A.B.

Coming to an NHS Trust near you.

Can I be your independent reviewer?

worldbackwards

this is so stupid it actually cheered me up. woah, thinking about it... that means it's already worked guys! and i haven't even been to my first mime class <3
They were right all along then...
The outcomes for patients in this small scale piece of practice based evidence indicated that there were reductions in symptom distress, anxiety and depression, increased overall wellbeing
I'm feeling a widespread roll-out on this, centres across the country, dance movement "champions" for each region...

TiredSam

this is so stupid it actually cheered me up. woah, thinking about it... that means it's already worked guys! and i haven't even been to my first mime class <3
That was me practising my Distance Mime Therapy skills. I thought I'd try sending some Mime Energy to the UK and see what came back. You're obviously one of the receptive ones, so you get a special discount. Sign up now!

sarah darwins

That was me practising my Distance Mime Therapy skills. I thought I'd try sending some Mime Energy to the UK and see what came back. You're obviously one of the receptive ones, so you get a special discount. Sign up now!

Another role for you there, Sam, as a group mime therapy facilitator (via Skype conference). Just get patients miming at each other, sit back and watch the money roll in .. er, I mean, monitor the accrued patient benefit.

TiredSam

Another role for you there, Sam, as a group mime therapy facilitator (via Skype conference). Just get patients miming at each other, sit back and watch the money roll in .. er, I mean, monitor the accrued patient benefit.
Using skype is so old-fashioned, I prefer to visualise the mimes and channel the energy from my visualisations through the cosmic airwaves. I monitor the accrued patient benefit in the same way. Saves me getting out of my comfy chair, which I only really like doing if I have to go to the bank.