• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Listen to COMT or MTRRA66G?

Hi all,

I am asking a question for a friend. She has done the 23andme test and her combination from the COMT and VDR genes suggest that she should uses hydroxob12. But her MTRRa66G is ++ wich i think suggest she should use methylb12? I am confused here what she should so, anyone has any advice on this?

Valentijn

I also have MTRR A66G, but do poorly with methylB12 after a few days. Whereas I do feel better (less pain, etc) with hydroxoB12.

Using SNPs to determine the form of B12 to take is completely hypothetical (unproven), and seems to be wrong much of the time.

Thanks Valentijn for your answer!

But I can't help to wonder is using SNP's for other things, like the need for methylfolate or avoid sulfur, than also useless? What is your opinion about that?

Valentijn

Thanks Valentijn for your answer!

But I can't help to wonder is using SNP's for other things, like the need for methylfolate or avoid sulfur, than also useless? What is your opinion about that?
There has to be research showing that you have the version of the specific SNP which has that specific impact.