• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone self inject or have IV Roephin (ceftrixione)

Jenny

Hi

I just wondered how many folks were on an IV drip of anti biotic or gets prescribed it intramuscular?

If so who organised it X

Yes, some years ago, through the Breakspear clinic. Had 12 weeks of it 6 days a week. Had no effect on anything, good or bad.

msf

Was that through the NHS too, Jenny? Were you diagnosed with Lyme by Breakspear or by the NHS?

Jenny

Was that through the NHS too, Jenny? Were you diagnosed with Lyme by Breakspear or by the NHS?

No it wasn't on the NHS. At that time I had private medical insurance and the clinic took it. I don't think they do any more. I was diagnosed with Lyme and other bacterial infections by Breakspear, but I don't believe the diagnosis. In fact they have scrapped those tests now, and after I didn't respond to treatment they said I probably hadn't had Lyme in the first place! I got the impression they hadn't a clue what they were doing.

It was IV treatment by the way.

Daffodil

wow. IV Rocephin was the only thing that ever got rid of my SEVERE brain fog that i have had for decades!

but i could not tolerate it long

Hip

I tried subcutaneous Rocephin (ceftriaxone) 1000 mg once (to try to duplicate @Daffodil's experience of Rocephin eliminating the severe brain fog).

A couple of studies have found that subcutaneous administration of ceftriaxone appears to be a possible alternative (refs: 1, 2).

However, whereas ceftriaxone's bioavailability is 85% for intramuscular administration, the subcutaneous bioavailability is 39%.

So you lose roughly half your dose when taking subcutaneously, compared to intramuscularly.