• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Catherine Hale - "The politics of stigma with ME/CFS"

worldbackwards

Great blogpost from Catherine Hale, taking in PACE, stigma and access to care and treatment.
There is a reason people with ME struggle to access their entitlements which is unique to this contested illness and its embattled history. You could call it “stigma”; but it’s unlike the stigma of HIV or mental illness...The peculiar stigma of ME/CFS is this: we have been branded not credible witnesses to our own condition.

http://limitedcapability.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/the-politics-of-stigma-with-mecfs.html

Last edited:

Aurator

It's a brilliant and moving article that perfectly encapsulates the unique cruelty that people with ME have had to endure in a world that has been repeatedly persuaded of their unworthiness. And it puts to utter shame the people who have been responsible for doing the persuading.

Thank you. I normally research and write in the field of welfare benefits for sick and disabled people and social care in the UK, so this is a bit of a departure for me. But my hope is to bring awareness of this injustice to the community of disability activists in the UK. I find many parallels between our story and the struggle by the disabled people's movement for the right to independent living, for example.

waiting

@JenB -- great post to highlight in ME Action re: stigma & strategy and PACE criticism.

Edit: Jen, you are quoted near the end of her article, too. And a link to your website.

Last edited: