• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New antiviral drugs in the pipeline.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i have heard cmx001 the av the Dr Peterson is excited about, may be on the market next year and said to have broad spectrum antiviral effects.

So while googling, and I have read about before, was cmx157 which is basically an improved antiretroviral, is being developed to treat hep B and also is further along the line to being approved. It might be a far stretch but something active against hep B maybe active against herpes viruses. One example is famvir which is active against both herpes and hep B viruses. The other point that may make this helpful against other herpes viruses is that tenofovir made in a cream has shown to be effective when applied to shingles. So maybe not a far stretch to think cmx157 could help cfsers in the herpes virus sub group.

The other drug I have never heard of and has gone through several stages of development and possibly not far from being available is FV-100. It's said to be an antiviral not only effective against active shingles virus but also post herpetic neuralgia PHN which is a later stage of shingles where it's commonly thought that current antivirals aren't effective against PHN. This drug is said to be more effective in trials they have done compared with valtrex. So again this doesn't seem to be a far stretch to be effective against other herpes viruses implicated in cfsme. Also possible some cfsers have a low level chronic varicella infection which this drug could be very helpful. This sub group could also have mollarets meningitis, which is a recognised chronic vzv infection.

I guess because all herpes drugs are now off their patent we might see more new drugs developed that might be of use to some of us???

http://contravir.com/about-us/

jop

Thanks @heapsreal, you cheered me up. I also get the 'tingles' from the shingles. VSV doesn't seem to be recognised as an ME/CFS associated virus. Any ideas why? Has it not been searched for, or perhaps it's not found in the blood?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Thanks @heapsreal, you cheered me up. I also get the 'tingles' from the shingles. VSV doesn't seem to be recognised as an ME/CFS associated virus. Any ideas why? Has it not been searched for, or perhaps it's not found in the blood?

Vzv scaring of the dorsal ganglion nerves has been found in autopsies of ME pts but hopeyou don't plan on getting one of those soon ;)

Im not sure why its not considered much . My cfs onset was from chickenpox at 31yo with 2 other viruses. Start of this year shingles when i stopped antivirals which i was taking for cfs and cmv virus at 44yo. Its caused a relapse in my functioning and keep getting headaches from where the rash was on my head.

Several months before stopping antivirals i got tested for antibodies to vzv as i was looking into shingles vaccines etc. Test came back saying i had good immunity to vzv. Probably didnt take into account low nk function either. But i do wonder if they said good immunity because i had high titres, these levels rarely given in australia , and i probably had chronic sub clinical vzv kept in check by antivirals .

I agree its an over looked virus in cfsme , i dont know why and probably more involved than many realise but not looked at beyond shingles and post herpetic neuralgia .

jop

Several months before stopping antivirals i got tested for antibodies to vzv as i was looking into shingles vaccines etc. Test came back saying i had good immunity to vzv. Probably didnt take into account low nk function either. But i do wonder if they said good immunity because i had high titres, these levels rarely given in australia , and i probably had chronic sub clinical vzv kept in check by antivirals.

Shingles vaccine, now there's an idea. Agree there is more than one way to interpret high titres. I notice that my "post herpetc neuralgia" has improved remarkably after only 5 days aciclovir. The problem is the medical attitude "if I can't see it or measure it, it doesn't exist."

halcyon

Vzv scaring of the dorsal ganglion nerves has been found in autopsies of ME pts but hopeyou don't plan on getting one of those soon ;)
Do you have more info on this? I know dorsal root ganglionitis has been found but I wasn't aware they had proved it was due to any particular agent.