• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OMI big data study receives $500,000 donation

John Mac

Just received this email from the OMI

Edit: Just realised this news was originally announced on their website on November 11th.
Though I think it's now started is new info.

It’s happened again! A very generous anonymous donor has expressed confidence in Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) research by donating $500,000 to expand the OMF ME/CFS Severely Ill Big Data Study.
As you may recall, just a few months ago, we reached our goal of $1 million to do the Severely Ill-BIG DATA Study, which is Phase 1 of the End ME/CFS Project.
How this big donation will help:
With these new funds, we have increased the types and number of tests that will be included in the OMF ME/CFS Severely Ill-BIG DATA Study. This study will give us a thorough, deep-dive and comprehensive molecular profile of severely ill ME/CFS patients. You can see the revised description of the study, with the new tests/categories to be run, at this link.
More details of the tests included will be forthcoming. This study has now been launched and will take 9-12 months.

Last edited:

snowathlete

Fantastic news as this enables the End ME/CFS Project to run a great many more tests - if you haven't looked yet, follow that link in the original announcement and see for yourself. More funding will mean they can look at even more. I fully expect this research to pay off in a big way and I am eternally grateful to this donator who has given so generously.

msf

I think we should build a statue (not ourselves) to Anonymous. I then hope Anonymous comes forward to claim the credit, like in Curb Your Enthusiasm (not really relevant, I just love that show).

Daisymay

Absolutely wonderful! Thanks so VERY, VERY much to the anonymous donors, thank you x

ghosalb

How generous of you Mr or Ms donor
knowing you someday will be a honor
Even if we can not know you ever
you will be always in our prayer

A.B.

Very nice.

I was thinking the other day that these donations are more than just money. They're a signal that will hopefully encourage others to donate as well, and put pressure on the NIH to contribute.

These donations are worth more than their nominal amount.

John Mac

Very nice.

I was thinking the other day that these donations are more than just money. They're a signal that will hopefully encourage others to donate as well, and put pressure on the NIH to contribute.

Exactly
Wasn't it when the Norwegian ME group got halfway to funding the latest Rituximab trial that the Norwegian government relented and decided to fund the other half.