• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about unnatural cortisol curve and low cortisol in the evening

jason30

Hi all,

I did a saliva test to measure my cortisol through the day. The result is an unnatural cortisol curve and low cortisol in the evening.

I don't know yet what i am gonna do about it, but I wonder if these symptoms are related to the cortisol problems.
My symptoms:
  • Blurred vision, especially in the morning and evening. The moments that i am not much in movement.
  • Strange reactions to sugar-rich products; sometimes seeing more blurred, sometimes more fatigue.
  • Bad concentration, confused sometimes.
  • More hungry, even after a big meal.
  • Frequent urination.
  • Fatigue (is an on-going symptom).
Apart from above symptoms i also suffer from electrical and chemical sensitivities, the mainly cause of this is because I can not detoxify properly (stage 2 of the liver). In order to support the stage 2 of the liver I take L-methiononine 500 mg and Sunflower Lecithin 1200 mg (not soy based) a day with Phosphatidyl Choline 210 (not soy based) mg a day, in the evening.

My questions:
1. Does anybody know if Phosphatidyl Choline / Sunflower Lecithin have some effects on the cortisol levels?
2. My (new) symptoms looks like i have some sugar issues / insulin Resistance. I am familiar with hypos. I have measured my sugar values several times, and they are not optimal but certainly no diabetes yet. I wonder if my cortisol problems could affect insulin in the body?

Thanks in advance for thinking along with me.

Last edited:

bertiedog

It is possible that you need to do some more blood sugar readings because high blood sugars can cause these symptoms. It is definitely worth ruling this out for sure. Some of us can be very sensitive to where our blood sugars are.

Pam

Ema

@jason30, it might be helpful if you could post your cortisol results and ranges.

Cortisol is supposed to be low at night so I'm a little confused.

jason30

Omg, such an important thing for me and I have totally missed this thread. Sorry! :bang-head:

Update on the above symptoms:
- Blurred vision was a detox reaction.
- Frequent urination: Is less after taking Adrenal Cortex (thus less stress on adrenals).
- Phosphatidyl Choline lowers cortisol! For now, I have stopped taking Phosphatidyl Choline. Correction: Phosphatidyl Serine lowers cortisol, not Phosphatidyl Choline.

In the evening I get the most symptoms, Adrenal Cortex helps a bit but the cortisol is still low.

Hereby a screenshot of the Saliva test, which is done in April, 2015:
http://i68.tinypic.com/28qs2ec.jpg

Also in April, 2015: Iron to high: 34
And HDL cholesterol was low: 1,22 mmol/l

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
TBH it doesn't look that bad to me - in normal range all day with a lowering curve as you would expect, but then just a tiny bit lower than normal late at night.

bertiedog

I agree with Justy on your results. Are you also taking extra sea salt to support your adrenal function (as long as you haven't got high bp)? BTW Phosphotidylcholine doesn't lower cortisol, its phosphotidylserine that lowers cortisol.

Have you tried changing your diet and stopping gluten products and maybe dairy too plus eating less carbs and more protein and fats instead? It's amazing how some people can feel better doing this alone and it's worth a try for say a month. If there are no benefits then you can just go back to whatever suits you.

The NHS nurse that came to talk to the group of Fibromyalgia sufferers that I run even made these suggestions so it would appear to becoming main stream advice for sensitive individuals with fatiguing-type illnesses at least to give it a try.

Pam

jason30

Thanks Pam and Justy!

TBH it doesn't look that bad to me - in normal range all day with a lowering curve as you would expect, but then just a tiny bit lower than normal late at night.

Yes it's a tiny bit lower, but I have heard that that is a signal of adrenal insufficiency. Or does the ranges have to be more out of balance for that diagnosis?

I agree with Justy on your results. Are you also taking extra sea salt to support your adrenal function (as long as you haven't got high bp)? BTW Phosphotidylcholine doesn't lower cortisol, its phosphotidylserine that lowers cortisol.

Have you tried changing your diet and stopping gluten products and maybe dairy too plus eating less carbs and more protein and fats instead? It's amazing how some people can feel better doing this alone and it's worth a try for say a month. If there are no benefits then you can just go back to whatever suits you.

The NHS nurse that came to talk to the group of Fibromyalgia sufferers that I run even made these suggestions so it would appear to becoming main stream advice for sensitive individuals with fatiguing-type illnesses at least to give it a try.

Pam

Yes, I am taking extra sea salt (celtic sea salt). What do you mean with high BP?
Ah you're right, it's indeed Pserine that lowers cortisol and not Pcholine. *Starting with Pcholine again* ;-)

Indeed, changing your diet can do a lot for our health.
Currently I am struggling with my diet because I'm digesting fats and proteins not good. For example, for my leaky gut I make chicken broth but I get complaints after taking it because of the poor fat digestion. I am busy with increasing stomach acid and perhaps soon I will begin with an enzym complex, and maybe an extra supplement, so hopefully i can digest fats and proteins better.
I am taking less gluten then before, but also in the progress of taking none (it's more difficult then I thought :) ). I am also taking less carbs but I have to be carefull with that, because my thyroid don't like it when I take too little carbs.

Thanks for thinking with me!

sregan

What is your cortisol curve? Can you upload an image? Do you have a "high" morning response (the first test of the day)? Most people with adrenal fatigue feel best in the evening when the cortisol is lower. If your morning response if high taking L-Glutamine before bed (or Phospatidyl Serine) can help reduce your morning response.

jason30

What is your cortisol curve? Can you upload an image? Do you have a "high" morning response (the first test of the day)? Most people with adrenal fatigue feel best in the evening when the cortisol is lower. If your morning response if high taking L-Glutamine before bed (or Phospatidyl Serine) can help reduce your morning response.

Thanks for the tips. I have no curve available. Only a screenshot of the Saliva test:

I feel more clearly in the evening indeed, but I think that's also a positive reaction to the adrenal cortext which I take on the end of the morning. In the morning I am slow mostly with a lot of brain fog, during the day more energy and in the evening the most clearly. Fall asleep very quickly.

Pserine lowers cortisol, I am reluctant to take it in the evening because of my already low cortisol in the evening.
L-Glutamine is something I wanted to start with this week because of the leaky gut.

sregan

Thanks for the tips. I have no curve available. Only a screenshot of the Saliva test:

I feel more clearly in the evening indeed, but I think that's also a positive reaction to the adrenal cortext which I take on the end of the morning. In the morning I am slow mostly with a lot of brain fog, during the day more energy and in the evening the most clearly. Fall asleep very quickly.

Pserine lowers cortisol, I am reluctant to take it in the evening because of my already low cortisol in the evening.
L-Glutamine is something I wanted to start with this week because of the leaky gut.

You do NOT have an exaggerated morning response so I would NOT take any cortisol lowering supplements.

I would try Pantethine and PABA in the morning which have helped me tremendously. Anything that will keep cortisol around longer is your friend (Licorice also but use carefully).

jason30

You do NOT have an exaggerated morning response so I would NOT take any cortisol lowering supplements.

I would try Pantethine and PABA in the morning which have helped me tremendously. Anything that will keep cortisol around longer is your friend (Licorice also but use carefully).

Thanks a lot! I will look into PABA (I already look pantethine).
Do you maybe have recommendations for the low cortisol in the evening? I think that the low cortisol is connected with my muscle pain, which comes in the evening and disturbs my sleep.

sregan

Thanks a lot! I will look into PABA (I already look pantethine).
Do you maybe have recommendations for the low cortisol in the evening? I think that the low cortisol is connected with my muscle pain, which comes in the evening and disturbs my sleep.

The PABA and/or Licorice should help get your evening cortisol up a little. PABA definitely does that for me. I don't crash as early. Vitamin C is also very adrenal supportive you should look into that also.

jason30

I am curious what PABA does, I'll let you know. Unfortunately I don't tolerate Licorice.
I take 1000mg vitamin c every day, although I need to limit it because of high iron saturation.

Thanks again!

sregan

I am curious what PABA does, I'll let you know. Unfortunately I don't tolerate Licorice.

This is that I take: Now PABA.

I only take about 50-80 mgs in the early AM.
You want to take it when your cortisol is at it's highest.

500mg is way too much for me so I crack open the cap and pour some from the "small end" under my tongue then immediately wash it down with juice. PABA is up there with the vitamins that are very bitter.