• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme test results

naoise

hi

I recently got back my Lyme results but don't fully understand them.
My borellia IGM is positive, positive Blot P41 and my CD57 is -50. I didn't even know you could get a test result of minus!

Does anyone of this point to lymes?

sarah darwins

I didn't even know you could get a test result of minus!
lol - I think I once got that on a high school maths test

I'm guessing this is a lab that uses the minus sign to indicate that your result was below the normal reference range. I suspect your result was 50! (which would indeed be low).

I think low CD57 is very common in people with a lyme diagnosis.

naoise

@Daffodil i almost don't want to get my hopes up (I've been sick for so long any answer is amazing) cause some people have told me nope IGM means nothing! Ugh

Hanna

I am afraid it may be a little more difficult to draw a straight conclusion from your western blot result, as the band 41 is not specific to Lyme. I don't remember which bands are to be positive - but I am sure many here on the forum will be able to answer.
A negative WB doesn't mean no lyme either, as some lymees are unable to produce positive results before treatment and show a clear positive response after ABX.

bertiedog

Last year I was tested by Infectolab and I had 3 positives on the Ellispot for borrelia +5. +4 +3 with CD57 around 58 and I tested positive on the Western Blot for band 41 only.

Actually I found an old result of a MELISA done in 2007 and this wasn't completely negative because although there was a reaction it wasn't quite strong enough to warrant a positive. The comment was possibly seronegative?

I did over a year on a modified Cowden and had a good increase in the ability to walk more steps daily but as I have adrenal insufficiency this will always get in the way and cause crashes from time due to circumstances out of my control. I don't really know what I think about this test now after @Jonathan Edwards has implied its pretty useless because it isn't validated by anyone else. (We know it was validated for TB but not Lyme).

I am intrigued by the posts about borrelia and ME/CFS and so many testing positive but it would seem these positives only occur with Infectolab, Armin Labs and Igenex and virtually never with NHS testing or other Western Blots.

Pam

duncan

I have never tested with IGeneX or Infectolab or Armin lab. I am 2T positive, though, with just about every major lab in the US, including Labcorp and Qwest and Mayo and Imugen and Immunetics and Bioreferences Labs and Stony Brook.

I also always have been C6 positive.

Having said that, I can tell you that I suspect no major IDSA Guidelines supporter - and that would include the CDC and NHS - would be willing to admit I have Lyme.

msf

So, if you´re 2T positive, why are you always complaining about the 2T test, Duncan? Surely you should be spreading the word about how effective it is?

duncan

Perhaps it is, in part, because I am 2T positive, and C6 positive, that I can speak to their deficits with less worry about being accused of having an unwarranted bias.

I also can attest to how the game is rigged from a different perspective.

Last edited:

msf

Sorry, I was pretending to be a IDSA LLMD. You must count yourself to be one of the (un)lucky few, to be 2T test positive at multiple labs!

duncan

Here's the deal with Lyme: Catch it early, and diagnostics and treatment are friendly to 80% of the infected. The other 20% are relegated to a less friendly status.

Fail to catch it early...Let it progress to late stage...

Well, diagnostics and treatment protocols too often can be reduced to little more than posturing.

Hey @msf, would IDSA LLMD qualify as an oxymoron? ;)

msf

Haha, I thought that when I wrote it. What´s the word for someone who knows lots of non-facts about Lyme?

naoise

Hmm ok so I guess if I get diagnosed it's more for the diagnosis than anything else.