• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recommendation for a multivitamin containing methylfolate?

I'd like to switch from a multivitamin containing folic acid to one that contains methylfolate but am not sure which brands are reliable. Can anyone offer an opinion on Seeking Health, Life Extension, and/or Doctor's Best? I've recently been diagnosed as having one copy of the C677T mutation. Thanks for any advice.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I currently take Jarrow B-right - very affordable and solid.

Doctor's Best Multiple is very high dose B-vitamins and mineral at the full dose (3 caps) but 1 is enough for many.

I appreciate the responses!
@helen1 , AOR is a brand I'd never heard of, so thank you for that reference.
@acer2000, I was familiar with Pure Encapsulations as a brand but had missed their multivitamin array; I see they offer several different formulations, which I will look at more closely.
@Sherpa, @PeterPositive, @ahmo - I was interested to see that you all recommend a B-complex. Does this mean that you don't take a "regular" multivitamin (I mean, with vitamins A, C, D, E, etc., and the usual mineral line-up)?

Since I've been trying to learn about methylation, I realize that I'm not well informed about the proper dosages of B-vitamins apart from B!2 (other than having vaguely heard that one shouldn't have "too much" B6).

Your responses lead me to two more questions, if you have time...
One of the multi options includes NAC: is that good for methylation or not?
If just starting out on the methylation "journey," is it better to start with Metafolin than Quatrefolic?

ahmo

I was interested to see that you all recommend a B-complex. Does this mean that you don't take a "regular" multivitamin (I mean, with vitamins A, C, D, E, etc., and the usual mineral line-up)?
I take D, E, K separately, eat my vit A; take minerals separately. NAC doesn't work for me.

If just starting out on the methylation "journey," is it better to start with Metafolin than Quatrefolic?
these are the same.

In my signature are links to several documents re Fredd's Protocol. The first is the briefest. You'll find info re Vitamins, etc. there.

PeterPositive

@@Sherpa, @@PeterPositive, @@ahmo - I was interested to see that you all recommend a B-complex. Does this mean that you don't take a "regular" multivitamin (I mean, with vitamins A, C, D, E, etc., and the usual mineral line-up)?
I do as @ahmo does.