• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prescription drugs far more dangerous to Americans 11/24/15 via Natural News

*GG*

In recent days, Drug Enforcement Agency Acting Administrator Chuck Rosenberg announced results from the 2015 National Drug Threat Assessment, or NDTA, which found that drug overdose deaths are the leading cause of injury death in the United States, surpassing deaths from motor vehicles and guns. In 2013, more than 46,000 people in the U.S. died from drug overdoses and more than half of those were due to prescription painkillers and heroin, the Mises Institute, a libertarian-leaning think tank, reported, citing the NDTA.

Mises further noted:

cont'd

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/052093_p...se_deaths_Second_Amendment.html#ixzz3sTanKEUD

GG

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
This article seems pretty bonkers. In effect it says that more people commit suicide by overdose than get murdered with guns. I am very pleased to hear it. In the UK nobody would even consider making the comparison because hardly anybody gets murdered by guns. Taking your own life deliberately seems to me to be something people have a right to do if life is intolerable. Paracetamol and heroin are at present about the least traumatic options, and neither have anything much to do with 'Big Pharma'. I cannot see that this has anything to do with 'dangerousness' if people actually wanted to die.

And after all heroin is pretty much a natural product - they make it from poppies in Afghanistan I think!

barbc56

. I am very pleased to hear it. In the UK nobody would even consider making the comparison because hardly anybody gets murdered by guns

What is the UK doing that the US isnt? I had no idea about this statistic. I did know, from reading many British mysteries, that the the UK police don't always carry guns but don't know if getting information from fiction is the most reliable source. I've noticed this in other countries as well. This is to be commended.

Back to the topic at hand, I found the article jumped all over the place and full of the usual conspiracy theories. I'm not quite sure what point the article was making but that could be me.

Barb

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
What is the UK doing that the US isnt? I had no idea about this statistic. I did know, from reading many British mysteries, that the the UK police don't always carry guns but don't know if getting information from fiction is the most reliable source. I've noticed this in other countries as well. This is to be commended.

Back to the topic at hand, I found the article jumped all over the place and full of the usual conspiracy theories. I'm not quite sure what point the article was making but that could be me.

Barb

What the UK is doing is not carrying guns. Very few police carry guns - there is no need, because nobody else does. No ordinary person carries a gun - it is illegal. Simple. Guns are essentially entirely restricted to farming and hunting communities who shoot pigeons and pheasants with shotguns and a few rifle range enthusiasts. The rare shootings we do have are mostly gangland feuds in inner cities.

I think the point the article was wanting to make is that conventional drugs from Big Pharma are baddies. Completely irrelevant to the statistic quoted - just alternative medicine spam as far as I can see. The irony for me is that a lot of unnecessary exposure of patients to the toxic effects of conventional drugs comes from the same fringe crowd who use alternative therapies.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
If big pharma come up with a treatment or cure for cfsme, im sure many of us want be worrying about IV vitamin C. That said they haven't yet??

I'm on the side who does.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Taking your own life deliberately seems to me to be something people have a right to do if life is intolerable. Paracetamol and heroin are at present about the least traumatic options, and neither have anything much to do with 'Big Pharma'. I cannot see that this has anything to do with 'dangerousness' if people actually wanted to die.
I would have to disagree with the suggestion that paracetamol overdose might be a less traumatic way to take one's life than other (drug?) options? I took about 60-65 paracetamol plus about a bottle of benzodiazepines in 1996, and woke up after about 24 hours unconscious, almost-completely uncoordinated, incontinent at both ends, and mercifully managed to get to hospital where I spent a month with liver and kidney failure, dialysis, etc. It seems to be something of a miracle that I didn't suffer permanent damage. People who have taken a relatively small number of paracetamols have sometimes apparently recovered, only to suffer progression to liver failure, encephalopathy or other chronic illness.

It is not an easy way.

barbc56

The irony for me is that a lot of unnecessary exposure of patients to the toxic effects of conventional drugs comes from the same fringe crowd who use alternative therapies

As well as pointing fingers at patients for taking too many Big Pharma medications* while gobbling handfulls of supplements. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point.

*There is a grain of truth to this.

By the way, does the UK have any NRA members?

Barb

MeSci

The irony for me is that a lot of unnecessary exposure of patients to the toxic effects of conventional drugs comes from the same fringe crowd who use alternative therapies.
'Fringe crowd'? According to this page,
approximately 38 percent of adults (about 4 in 10) and approximately 12 percent of children (about 1 in 9) are using some form of CAM

MeSci

As well as pointing fingers at patients for taking too many Big Pharma medications* while gobbling handfulls of supplements. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point.

Barb
What's NRA?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"

Barb

It seems that there is a UK NRA with a website, but I suspect it is a puppet organisation run by US NRA. Nobody in the UK makes a political point out of owning a gun these days. We had one school shooting about fifteen years ago and since then nobody would vote for a pro-gun candidate.

barbc56

If big pharma come up with a treatment or cure for cfsme, im sure many of us want be worrying about IV vitamin C. That said they haven't yet??

I'm on the side who does.

Alternative Medicine doesnt have the answers, either.

IIn fact right now, other than symptom control, conventional medicine doesn't have any answers. Yet. But I think the odds are much better on the conventional side.

IMHO

Barb

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
It seems that there is a UK NRA with a website, but I suspect it is a puppet organisation run by US NRA. Nobody in the UK makes a political point out of owning a gun these days. We had one school shooting about fifteen years ago and since then nobody would vote for a pro-gun candidate.

We find in australia police still need guns as bobby hats dont stop a hells angel ice junky with a knife, bat or maybe he's just a juiced up giant on a roid rage.

MeSci

Alternative Medicine doesnt have the answers, either.

IIn fact right now, other than symptom control, conventional medicine doesn't have any answers. Yet. But I think the odds are much better on the conventional side.

IMHO

Barb
Well, they are not very good:

http://clinicalevidence.bmj.com/x/set/static/cms/efficacy-categorisations.html

I trust my own experience of both natural and pharmaceutical treatments, and there are of course overlaps.

Is sodium bicarbonate 'alternative' or 'conventional', for example?
NAC is taken by many here, and is commonly bought as a 'supplement', but it is also a lifesaving hospital treatment for paracetamol overdose.

As I have said before, the terms 'conventional' and 'alternative' are spurious distinctions, and there is a lot of overlap. It also varies between different countries.

I know from my experience that my natural leaky-gut/ME treatments have made a huge difference to numerous symptoms (including additional things like dermatitis), when nothing 'conventional' has.

Last edited: