• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida/SIBO

Hello all, this is my first post but I'd appreciated as much info and advice as possible.

I seem to have a myraid of health related issues, which I largely suspect is caused by a yeast/bacterial infection.
The most visible symptom appears to be a distended abdomen, which I've suffered from for several years. No matter what I eat, what I drink, my stomach automatically becomes bloated, even with water! By the end of the day I truly do resemble a pregnant woman. In effect this also causes me extreme tiredness, brain fog. Alongside this, I also suffer from reoccurring skin fungal infections, and consuming sugar and complex carbs tends to create a 'crawling' sensation on certain skin parts.

To try to remedy this, I have tried Fluconazole and Itraconazole, which made no change. I have stopped eating gluten (positive blood test, negative biopsy) and try to stay on that path. I had very recently attempted the SCD diet, hoping it'd relieve any constipation troubles, but it was short lived. Although it helped with the brain fog, and there was a slight improvement with the distended stomach, i began to feel extremely weak and dizzy, and thought it best not to continue.

My plan is to stick with a suitable diet, perhaps following a low fodmap guideline. As I suspect that I have methane producing SIBO, I will also be combining botanical anti fungals and antimicrobial supplements, as well as probiotic and prebiotics.

My question would be whether this is a suitable plan? If so, what products should I be using and during what stages?
I have come across supplements like candex and fc cidal, but I'm still unsure as to whether they'll be beneficial.

SB_1108

I used to have the same issues with a distended abdomen - I looked pregnant almost all day. I am very petite and typically fairly thin so this was really noticeable on me.

I'll share a few things that have helped me (but I can't say that they will help you).
- Addressing leaky gut with glutamine (this helped clear my skin of rashes)
- Taking digestive enzymes with every meal (NOW Super Enzymes are the best)
- Adding zinc glycinate or picolinate (helps your body create its on digestive enzymes and heal leaky gut)
- And finally for me... fecal transplant (but I realize that may be too far for you)

Some probiotics seem to make constipation worse in my opinion.

Adding SIBO treatments only made me worse. So I will say that personally, I did not find any success with the prescription antibiotic or herbal antibiotics.

I'd love to hear from others if they felt that candida treatments were beneficial - I can't say one way or the other.

South

Avoiding sugar (including avoiding fruit other than a few berries per day) keeps my constipation-type IBS from being too bad. I use a gentle herbal laxative when I need to, but this isn't more than one a week as long as I follow this no-sugar diet.

SCD diet didn't give me this help, it allows sweet things and my gut backed up.

So if you suspect candida or sibo, give the no-sugar diet a try.

Glutamine, incidently is a little controversial - it helps some people with leaky gut, but it seems to make the candida-like symptoms in some people worse. For example, I can't take it, it causes the same slow gut problem for me that eating sugar causes.

Thank you for the warm welcome and informative post. :) I'm also of similar build, and it's frustratingly problematic.

I did preorder hcl betaine not long ago, but I'm unsure as to whether it'll have the same benefits as the digestive enzymes you've mentioned? Either way, I suppose everything will be part of a trial and error path; if it isn't useful, I'll move onto the suggested supplement. I'll most definitely try glutamine; I've seen it mentioned many times for certain gut disorders. May I also ask how the zinc should be ingested? With the enzymes, or separately?
As for the fecal transplant - not at this point in time haha!

While it lasted, the SIBO diet did help with brain fog, although there were no supplements coupled with the diet. The only probiotic taken was the SCD yogurt, which I found very tolerable.

I'd also welcome others opinion on the matter.

So if you suspect candida or sibo, give the no-sugar diet a try.

Glutamine, incidently is a little controversial - it helps some people with leaky gut, but it seems to make the candida-like symptoms in some people worse. For example, I can't take it, it causes the same slow gut problem for me that eating sugar causes.

Thank you for the reply South, it's much appreciated. My short time on the SCD was void of sugar, although I do agree in that the amount I previously consumed did encourage constipation. Certain fruits i.e. Kiwi and oranges do provide some relief for me.

I will state that when I did introduce sugar and carbs back into my diet, I experienced a form of unsettling 'anxiety', something I experienced sporadically prior to following the diet. All in all, it does have a negative impact on my overall health.

ukxmrv

Is there any time that your stomach isn't distended and swollen?

For me there are problems with digestion that are adding to this but no amount of diets, supplements and treatments for yeast or bacteria etc has made a huge difference. Eating certain things does make the problem worse and avoiding them better but doesn't address whatever is the underlying problem.

I suspect for me that it is water or fluid as my stomach actually swishes as I move it. Maybe related to POTs or OI.

Firefly_

When I got sick with cfs I also got really constipated which was a new thing for me. I tried various otc remedies/suppositories/enemas and nothing really helped as my motility was really bad. When I saw Dr Kaufman at the OMI he diagnosed me with sibo and said that as long as I was constipated the sibo could never be cleared up so he put me on Iberogast (got it from Amazon). Amazing stuff! Worked the first day and my bm's after a time returned to normal consistency-TMI I know-apologies. Now I only take it maybe 2 times a month if I feel like things might be slowing down a bit.

"my stomach automatically becomes bloated, even with water" - have you consider histamine realease?
I also have H.pylori, methane SIBO and candida. glutamine and iberogast did not help me.
but diet helped try and see. digestive enzymes helped. not Hcl.
it would help somehow if you have identified pathogens in the first place. yeah, i know

SB_1108

When I got sick with cfs I also got really constipated which was a new thing for me. I tried various otc remedies/suppositories/enemas and nothing really helped as my motility was really bad. When I saw Dr Kaufman at the OMI he diagnosed me with sibo and said that as long as I was constipated the sibo could never be cleared up so he put me on Iberogast (got it from Amazon). Amazing stuff! Worked the first day and my bm's after a time returned to normal consistency-TMI I know-apologies. Now I only take it maybe 2 times a month if I feel like things might be slowing down a bit.

Oh Wow @Firefly_ I haven't tried this stuff but it looks interesting! I've had some success with this product by Beyond Balance called Tox-ease:
http://www.forresthealth.com/Tox-Ease.html

Even though that works fairly well, I'm always looking for other options to add to the mix!

Is there any time that your stomach isn't distended and swollen?

For me there are problems with digestion that are adding to this but no amount of diets, supplements and treatments for yeast or bacteria etc has made a huge difference. Eating certain things does make the problem worse and avoiding them better but doesn't address whatever is the underlying problem.

I suspect for me that it is water or fluid as my stomach actually swishes as I move it. Maybe related to POTs or OI.

Occasionally in the mornings my stomach does tend to be flat. Although the moment I ingest something, it will distend. May I ask what diets/supplements you've tried?

I do agree; there are certain foods that will exacerbate the problem, and others that aren't quite as troublesome.

"my stomach automatically becomes bloated, even with water" - have you consider histamine realease?
I also have H.pylori, methane SIBO and candida. glutamine and iberogast did not help me.
but diet helped try and see. digestive enzymes helped. not Hcl.
it would help somehow if you have identified pathogens in the first place. yeah, i know

No I haven't - I'm not actually clear on what it is exactly?

What diet and enzymes did you find beneficial?

Thank you, I'll have a look into this.

Oci

Hello all, this is my first post but I'd appreciated as much info and advice as possible.

I seem to have a myraid of health related issues, which I largely suspect is caused by a yeast/bacterial infection.
The most visible symptom appears to be a distended abdomen, which I've suffered from for several years. No matter what I eat, what I drink, my stomach automatically becomes bloated, even with water! By the end of the day I truly do resemble a pregnant woman. In effect this also causes me extreme tiredness, brain fog. Alongside this, I also suffer from reoccurring skin fungal infections, and consuming sugar and complex carbs tends to create a 'crawling' sensation on certain skin parts.

To try to remedy this, I have tried Fluconazole and Itraconazole, which made no change. I have stopped eating gluten (positive blood test, negative biopsy) and try to stay on that path. I had very recently attempted the SCD diet, hoping it'd relieve any constipation troubles, but it was short lived. Although it helped with the brain fog, and there was a slight improvement with the distended stomach, i began to feel extremely weak and dizzy, and thought it best not to continue.

My plan is to stick with a suitable diet, perhaps following a low fodmap guideline. As I suspect that I have methane producing SIBO, I will also be combining botanical anti fungals and antimicrobial supplements, as well as probiotic and prebiotics.

My question would be whether this is a suitable plan? If so, what products should I be using and during what stages?
I have come across supplements like candex and fc cidal, but I'm still unsure as to whether they'll be beneficial.

I had these problems but am doing well now. I had the Doctor's Data test done and identified candida 2+ (have had 4+ in past) and some other bad bacteria. The report tells what substances to use to treat. I used ACS Silver and Grapefruit seed extract for awhile - both were sensitive to - but then stopped as bladder became irritate from the GSE. I then concentrated on building up the good bacteria that I was probably inadvertently killing off with various herbal anti-candida treatments.
Also I have used a lot of Diflucan over the years and think I may harbour yeast that are resistant to it now. When you kill off the ordinary candida population, then other more potent/resistant strains emerge.
What really helped me is Saccharomyces Boulardi - 2 a day. Also adding in various probiotics.
I am feeling a lot better and the white from my tongue has almost entirely gone.
I am paying a lot of attention to gut health.
My new naturopath put me on l-glutamine powder to heal the gut.
BTW, I have used Candex in the past and found it very helpful but wonder if it may knock holes in gut lining as well as in the candida. So I no longer take it.
Good luck!

Rooney

Can you get to a gastroenterologist? Sorry I can't read all the details of the thread today, but it's what is needed, to me - what I am doing for my SIBO. Lactulos breath test.

- low histamine diet combined with FODMAP. its try and see each one is different. I have a food diary and reactions. this way i have identified the wrong foods.
- pancreatic enzymes and Bile with each food helped me.

Hip

Unlikley. The notion that Candida overgrowth can lead to all sorts of symptoms is a popular idea (and thus has a popular following), but there seems to be little evidence for this. There are lots of statements all over the Internet about the myriad different symptoms that Candida overgrowth supposedly causes, but for these statements, references to published studies is never provided.

What does your doctor say about this bloating?

Can you get to a gastroenterologist? Sorry I can't read all the details of the thread today, but it's what is needed, to me - what I am doing for my SIBO. Lactulos breath test.

Unlikley. The notion that Candida overgrowth can lead to all sorts of symptoms is a popular idea (and thus has a popular following), but there seems to be little evidence for this.

What does your doctor say about this bloating?

I agree, there is no concrete proof for candida and although it may be viewed as conjecture, that's not to say there's no truth to it. In all matters, I'd prefer to keep an open mind.

My GP is unsure as to what is causing the bloating. I've tried various medications on his recommendation, but to no avail. I have also seen a gastroenterologist (routine for coeliac disease diagnosis) where I had a colonoscopy, endoscopy and capsule endoscopy conducted. They came back clear. SIBO and candida are not quite known or recognised in the UK, so suffice to say it's not something doctors would look for.

I had these problems but am doing well now.
What really helped me is Saccharomyces Boulardi - 2 a day.
My new naturopath put me on l-glutamine powder to heal the gut.

Thank you for the informative post.
Did you use the probiotics in conjunction with the anti fungal/antibacterial remedies, or after? I've seen l'glutamine and S. Boulardi mentioned numerous times, I presume these are to be consumed after diminishing the bad bacteria, and not prior?

- low histamine diet combined with FODMAP. its try and see each one is different. I have a food diary and reactions. this way i have identified the wrong foods.
- pancreatic enzymes and Bile with each food helped me.

Thank you. I've read up on a low histamine diet, and although my current eating habits do almost parallel the aforementioned diet, I think a food diary would be helpful.

Oci

Thank you for the informative post.
Did you use the probiotics in conjunction with the anti fungal/antibacterial remedies, or after? I've seen l'glutamine and S. Boulardi mentioned numerous times, I presume these are to be consumed after diminishing the bad bacteria, and not prior?
Yes, I did use probiotics in conjunction with the anti-fungals and antibacterials. My reasoning was that it was best to replace some of the good bacteria that were being killed off with the anti-fungals/antibacterials. This is similar to taking probiotics along with antibiotics.

I don't think there is any reason that you cannot take l-glutamine with the anti-fungals or antibacterials. L-glutamine helps to heal the GI tract. My new naturopath recommended that I take l-glutamine when she saw the history of candida problems and the fact that I tested low for
SIgA.
see http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/miscellaneous/articles/siga_testing_treatment.html Also google SIgA Candida.
Or see http://naturimedica.com/secretory-immunoglobulin-a-siga-for-healthy-gut-digestion-and-immunity/

S. Boulardi is actually a good yeast that is excellent for management of Candida. Again google.
My Integrative GP really likes Michael Ash. I think his credentials are outstanding.
http://www.clinicaleducation.org/resources/reviews/c-albicans-does-it-really-have-a-sweet-tooth/

I now believe that the strict Candida diet does not work. You cannot starve out candida! I now believe that we need to repair the gut and feed the good bacteria in the gut. I think it is very important to have fibre of various sorts and am also looking at resistant starch as being an important part of recovery of the gut. There is a resistant starch thread but it is very long and perhaps overwhelming for a newbie. Try this http://chriskresser.com/how-resistant-starch-will-help-to-make-you-healthier-and-thinner/

Earlier on, I tried bombarding the gut with a lot of probiotics and found I was having a lot of die-off. I had to back off and add more gradually.

Good luck!

Hip