• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Organic Cotton Bedding Reaction

I recently purchased some organic cotton sheets, which I seem to react to. I dont understand this, as I have had good success with other organic cotton items. Has anyone had a similar issue?

I did try washing them in baking soda,, which i generally do with new fabric, but this did not seem helpful this time.
There is some question as to wether the baking soda was fresh. ( It was very hard and clumpy)

Any ideas or experiences?
Does anyone have a source for organic sheets/ blankets they recommend?

Regards,
Viking

ahmo

I can't answer your questions. I now use 2nd hand chenille bedspreads for sheets. I use them because they breathe so well. The chemicals are long gone from them, though I have to wash them to get rid of laundry soap smells. Used over a wool underlay, there's no need to tuck them in, easy and very very comfy.

IreneF

Wash them in unscented, dye-free detergent and rinse three times. Baking soda is alkaline and can be irritating. Soap can leave a residue if there are minerals in your water (hard water). Organic detergents are available but I have never used them.

jason30

Wash them in unscented, dye-free detergent and rinse three times. Baking soda is alkaline and can be irritating. Soap can leave a residue if there are minerals in your water (hard water). Organic detergents are available but I have never used them.

I am sorry if I hijack this thread, but I have problems with washing clothes/bedding as well.
I wonder Irene, are there things to do against those minerals in hard water?
Do you know if there can be other things in the washing machine / water that could be the reason? Because when I wash my clothes by someone else, I have less complaints.

IreneF

I am sorry if I hijack this thread, but I have problems with washing clothes/bedding as well.
I wonder Irene, are there things to do against those minerals in hard water?
Do you know if there can be other things in the washing machine / water that could be the reason? Because when I wash my clothes by someone else, I have less complaints.
The minerals that make water hard aren't harmful. They just affect the ability of your soap or detergent to dissolve dirt.

You might be able to get information on water quality from the local water agency, to see if that is your problem.

People in hard water areas often buy water softeners and attach them to the plumbing. You can also buy powders (such as Calgon) that you add to the wash.

Using the right amount of an effective detergent (not soap) and rinsing thoroughly should be sufficient.

jason30

The minerals that make water hard aren't harmful. They just affect the ability of your soap or detergent to dissolve dirt.

You might be able to get information on water quality from the local water agency, to see if that is your problem.

People in hard water areas often buy water softeners and attach them to the plumbing. You can also buy powders (such as Calgon) that you add to the wash.

Using the right amount of an effective detergent (not soap) and rinsing thoroughly should be sufficient.

Thanks Irene. I received an answer from the local water agency, and it seems that we have soft water here.
The problem with washing my clothes, and the complaints after washing, is so strange.
Somehow I have this feeling that mold toxins are inside the washing machine. Or there are still mold toxins in the house, and that the washing machine does not remove them.
Thanks again!

IreneF

Thanks Irene. I received an answer from the local water agency, and it seems that we have soft water here.
The problem with washing my clothes, and the complaints after washing, is so strange.
Somehow I have this feeling that mold toxins are inside the washing machine. Or there are still mold toxins in the house, and that the washing machine does not remove them.
Thanks again!
It's easy to get things growing in a front-loader. You have to keep the door open when you aren't using it. Putting it thru a hot wash cycle with bleach but no clothes should help a great deal. You should be able to get more info. from the manufacturer.

Feeling that mold toxins are in the machine is not the same as them actually being there. I can make myself itch by thinking about hives and other itchy things. Ick. I try not to do that to myself.

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
Have you tried undyed, unbleached, organic cotton. expensive but works for someone I know.

Mark

Did you have this problem on first use, or only after a few days? I ask because my experience has been that after a blissful night or two in lovely new clean sheets, I sweat onto the bedding, after which almost anything I try can provoke a reaction. I've long suspected that the main source of the problem is something that I'm sweating out (toxins?) - and it never seems to wash out...