• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

18 things you’ll only know if you suffer with chronic fatigue syndrome - Metro, 13 Nov

user9876

worldbackwards

I thought it was quite good. Not a deep article but that clearly isn't the intent.
It isn't bad by any means, it's just something in the tone of the thing as a whole. I'm not sure I like being reduced to "18 fun facts". Perhaps it's just my antipathy to Buzzfeed style journalism.

user9876

It isn't bad by any means, it's just something in the tone of the thing as a whole. I'm not sure I like being reduced to "18 fun facts". Perhaps it's just my antipathy to Buzzfeed style journalism.
They are covering a lot of issues that way. If people read some of the "fun facts" they may get some kind of sense of the frustration. I get the impression that the metro is read on trains an buses so that people are more likely to browse than read an article and I assume that is why they use that format.

JayS

The headline, fwiw, originally said CF, not CFS. I asked the writer if that could be changed, and also explained that the multiple gifs might be a problem for some of us as something that might bring on migraines, etc. She was very nice, apologized, and changed the headline.

I felt like being nice to someone who seemed to not know what she'd gotten herself into, thought it was worth trying to head off anything angry that might have come, also. It's just a fluff piece, but who knows, better to have one more potential friend than one more adversary.

Bob

I don't know what to make of it but perhaps it might be helpful to people who don't yet have a diagnosis? Also, the video at the bottom is the best possible video they could include. It's great to see that getting publicity.

SOC

Okay, it's definitely a fluff piece, but it's not a bad piece filled with lies and propaganda. Let's face it, there's fluff pieces about everything these days -- cancer, parenting, work. No reason there shouldn't be a fluff piece about ME/CFS. Heck, it puts us in the mainstream, which is not a bad thing. I say we support this. We need every little bit of non-negative press we can get.

Click through and give the author a little pat on the back for not regurgitating the terrorist meme.

SOC

I agree. But it's come to something that we have to thank journalists for not calling patients terrorists! :rolleyes:
So sadly true. :(

It galls me beyond belief that the BPS propaganda machine can put out ridiculous stories with very little credible content and journalists unthinkingly pass it on with no regard for its veracity or the harm publishing such lies and evil insinuations can do. But it happens. A lot. So, it's the norm and we have to reward even the smallest divergence from that, even if it comes down to, "Gee, thanks SO much for not calling me a terrorist or vicious anti-science lunatic! Please, have this fruit basket as an sign of my gratitude for not grinding my face it the mud."

worldbackwards

Click through and give the author a little pat on the back for not regurgitating the terrorist meme.
So CFS is a meme after all? Someone should tell those doctors in Essex, they'll be thrilled.;)

I'm all in agreement that there's nothing much here to get worked up about, it's just that this kind of frivolous, gif-based treatment seems a bit incongruous to the situation. It's a bit like playing muzak over the climax of a horror film. But no, I don't think there's any need to round up an angry torch-wielding mob to storm the Metro gates.:p
No reason there shouldn't be a fluff piece about ME/CFS. Heck, it puts us in the mainstream, which is not a bad thing. I say we support this.
Perhaps the point is that ME is going overground now. Two big stories in the media means that people are taking interest, they both seem to have a long way to run. I suspect that I'm going to have to get used to this now, for better or worse.